Tempeh “Chicken” Salad Sandwich (courtesy of food.com)
No need to give up a lunchtime favorite just because you’ve gone vegan. Soy mayonnaise and tempeh in place of chicken make this a great vegan choice.
12 ounces tempeh, cubed
1 stalk celery, minced
2 tablespoons red bell peppers, minced
1 large dill pickles, minced
2 -3 scallions, minced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup soy mayonnaise
1 tablespoon yellow mustard (spicy golden brown is nice too)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the cubed tempeh in a saucepan of boiling, salted water.
2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 12 minutes, drain and set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the celery, pepper, pickle, scallion and parsley.
4. Run a knife through the cubed tempeh, just to give it a rough chop (optional, the cubes work fine too) Add chopped tempeh to the bowl, along with the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon, salt and pepper.
5. Fold everything together, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors combine. mThis will keep covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.