The Modern Chef: 15 Incredible Vegan Recipes
Black Bean Burgers (courtesy of allrecipes.com)
After making these veggie burgers at home, you’ll never buy frozen patties again.
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 baby carrots, grated (optional)
1/4 cup minced green bell pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon warm water
3 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce (such as Sriracha®), or to taste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
3/4 cup unbleached flour, or as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
2. Mash black beans in a bowl; add onion, garlic, carrots, and green bell pepper. Mix.
3. Whisk cornstarch, water, chile-garlic sauce, chili powder, cumin, seafood seasoning, salt, and black pepper together in a separate small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture into black bean mixture.
4. Mix whole-wheat bread into bean mixture. Stir flour, 1/4 cup at a time, into bean mixture until a sticky batter forms.
5. Spoon ‘burger-sized’ mounds of batter onto the prepared baking sheet, about a 3/4-inch thickness per mound. Shape into burgers.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until cooked in the center and crisp in the outside, about 10 minutes on each side.