Well DUH! ‘The Voice’ Alum Frenchie Davis Reveals She’s a Lesbian
In news that won’t surprise anybody, former American Idol and The Voice contender, Frenchie Davis, announced she is gay.
If you remember, after a controversial dismissal from Season 2 of American Idol, the big girl with a bigger voice found herself back in the spotlight singing “I Kissed a Girl” on the premiere episode of The Voice.
After that, she posed for a picture with America’s Next Top Model Eva Marcille at the Atlanta Gay Pride festival that fueled speculation of her (and Eva’s) sexual preferences. Now, Frenchie confirms she is a lesbian.
The “American Idol” and “Voice” alum has revealed to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that she’s been dating a woman for the past year, though she offers no other details on the relationship.
“I wasn’t out before the relationship, but I wasn’t in,” she told the publication. “I dated men and women, though lesbians weren’t feeling the bisexual thing. Now I’m in love with a woman I think I can be with forever.”
The singer, who performed in Broadway’s “Rent” and toured with a production of “Dreamgirls,” also professes her love of gay men in the interview. “I love the gays,” she says. “I love the gay boys. They have that awesome, masculine energy, but there’s also something else going on as well.”
Frenchie, who is a staple at gay pride events around the country is performing at Chicago Pride Fest this weekend and she is also working on a new album.
How long until celebrities don’t feel the need to come out of their gay closets? Especially when the doors on that closet were wide open anyway?
Alissa Henry is a freelance writer living in Columbus, OH. Follow her on Twitter @AlissaInPink
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I REFUSE to Do That in the Bedroom
- He Wrote That? Part II: More Surprising Songwriters Behind Some of Your Favorite Jams
- Strength, Great Skin and 5 Other Black Girl Privileges
- Looking For Trouble: The Day I Hurt Myself By Snooping on My Man…
- My Story: For Colored Girls Who’ve Considered Suicide When the Law Couldn’t Protect Them From Incest
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: What’s With All the Diva Dudes?
- Noire Naturals, Episode 1: The Natural Twist Out