Yesterday, one of my friends asked me If I’d seen a World Star Hip Hop (WSHH) video of some girl beating up another girl over Twitter and as soon as I said no, I looked at my feed and it was lit up with tweets on the fight.
After watching the brutal clip, all I could think was one, if someone came to my house questioning me with another person videotaping it, I would close my door with a quickness. The second was are these people not afraid of being caught showing their faces on-camera? If they’re not, they should be because police have increasingly been using WSHH to find criminals and the perpetrator in this fight, Tashay D. Edwards, is now added to the list.
The viral video didn’t lead to Tashay’s arrest but it ruins any chance of her denying the altercation. According to the Chronicle-Telegram newspaper in the Cleveland suburb of Elyria, “Tashay D. Edwards, 19, 100 block Spring St., [was] arrested and charged with assault and violation of a temporary protection order. A woman, who said she has had ongoing problems with Edwards, said Edwards repeatedly punched her and ripped her shirt off.”
The arrest actually happened a month ago on March 19 and that’s exactly what’s shown in the WSHH video as Tashay approaches the victim, questions her momentarily over “being disrespectful on Twitter,” and then punches, stomps, and drags her off of her porch into the yard. It’s odd that the video just made it’s way to WSHH yesterday, but it definitely caught on quickly. By the afternoon 2 million people had viewed it. Hopefully this video makes the assault charges stick. I think I speak for most people when I say viewers will sleep better knowing this girl has been arrested.
Watch the clip at your own risk. Definitely NSFW (or much else.)
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Jaded, Or Just Realistic: Which Are You?
- Being a Junkie: Hi, My Name is Victoria, and I’m Addicted to Natural Hair Products
- Was There No Better Way? Cops Cuff 6-Year-Old After Throwing Tantrum
- We All Have Good Hair: A Breakdown of Curl Patterns
- Yandy Says Don’t Knock Her Pregnant-Girl-In-The-Club Hustle
- Still Waiting: Will You Ever Be More Than “Friends”?
- Ask A Very Smart Brotha Live: Carpal Tunnel & 2 a.m.Texts
- “Ask a Black Man” Episode 4: The Marriage Episode [Extended Cut]