Oscar Rewind: 8 Black Actresses & The Roles That Deserved an Oscar
Taraji P. Henson as Shug in Hustle & Flow
Lost to: Wasn’t even nominated…smh
Truth be told, Henson isn’t as underrated as she thinks she is. She’s been recognized for her work and applauded more than most black actresses of this time, and even garnered an Academy Award nomination for her work as Queenie in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. However, I really loved the Howard University grad as Shug in the movie about a pimp and his dream–to be a rapper (yikes!). Pregnant with…well, somebody’s baby, Shug was very friendly, an all around sweet woman and at times, heartbreaking. The fact that she cared so much for DJay, her pimp, and also the fact that she was pretty much stuck in a less than ideal situation with her baby (and her pimp) just made her so much more beguiling. No nomination for this work, but if the Academy needed a sixth nominee in 2006, she should have been an easy pick.
Whose performance would you add to the list?
More on Madame Noire!
- My BFF: The Non-Celebrity Besties of The Famous
- Quarterback Calls Off Wedding Hours Before Ceremony
- Do White People Make You Uncomfortable?
- True Life: I Knew He Wasn’t Into Me When…
- Saying One Thing and Doin Another: Celebs Who Lack Consistency
- ’90s One-(Or Two) Hit Wonders Whose Jams Make Us Want a Comeback
- Black Girls Rock It Across The Pond: Snaps From The 2012 Brit Awards
- Are You Being Used? Signs You’ve Got a “Temporary” Friend on Your Hands
The Best And Worst Fabrics For Your Health This Winter
She Tried It: Inahsi Naturals Aloe Hibiscus Leave-In Conditioner & Detangler
She Tried It: Ivy Park Drip 2 and 2.2 Black Pack
My Husband And I Attempted To Have A Creative Date Night At Home -Without A Babysitter - Here's How It Went
Coca-Cola Mealtime Magic: Jerk Salmon Burger by Chef Scherise Merritt
We're Outside! Level Up Outdoor Adventures With Global Nomad Kellee Edwards
Beauty Of 5: Meet Wakati, The Newest Line Catered Specifically To Women With 4C Hair
Seven Cool Things to Do on a Warm Weekend in Chicago