How to Choose a Hairstyle That Fits Your Face
By Chrissi J
There are 7 general different types of face shapes. This is a guide for both natural hairstyles as well as relaxed (and possibly weave-a-licious) that will suit you, with the help of examples from my clients and celebs…
1. Oval Face- length equal to one and a half times width
Most styles are suitable for someone with an oval face. The only thing I wouldn’t recommend is a straight down bang with your style. A straight bang will hide most of your face and isn’t flattering. One of my favorite styles for an oval face is an updo. Updos will show your face off and make you look glamorous. Plus, they’re pretty good to wear for a lasting style to go for a few days. If you wear your hair down, just try to keep it swept away from your face.
2. Round Face- about as long as it is wide
For my natural hair people with round faces, I would suggest long (below the chin) & lustrous styles (lustrous as in, full and with volume), or short (close to the scalp) and sweet. Try a twist out, a straw curl, or even locks! And if you choose to rock a bang, make sure it has some curl/wave to it.
3. Square Face- about as long as it is wide with a sharp jawline
To my fellow square faces… Layers are our best look, as they help to soften the jaw line. A bob looks really great, as well as most curly styles long or short. Side parts are ideal to frame the face, and wearing your hair pulled back from your face is a great look too. For short looks, try to cut around the sides but leave a bit more hair on the top.
4. Diamond Face- high cheekbones and a narrow jaw line
If you have a diamond shaped face try to keep your hair away from your face. If you want a bang, a side bang in the face is cute. Wearing your hair pulled back around the sides and out at the top to the side, is a good look too (like a cute cockatoo). When it comes to parts, stick to side parts. This is a great face shape to experiment with asymmetrical cuts as well!
5. Heart Shaped Face- similar to a diamond face only a wider forehead
Full looks are great for heart shaped faces! Also bobs and asymmetrical styles. Only wear a bang if the rest of your hair is full and curly, or if it’s in a slicked back bun/ponytail. Fun pompadours are cute for this face shape too! For short styles, try to cut low around the sides and leave the hair long at the top.
6. Oblong Face- a high forehead and a long chin
If you want to rock a mohawk with an oblong face, make sure it’s tight on the sides and long at the top. A long bang swept to the side is a good look, as well as long and curly hairstyles with a part down the middle. For short looks, don’t cut too much off, because an oblong face needs a short cut that is full.
7. Triangle Face- a narrow forehead and a wide jawline
With a triangle face you want to keep it full at the top. Short haircuts are always a good look for this face shape as well, or you can rock your hair pinned up in the back and out in the front. This is great face shape for pompadours too!
Chrissi J is a hair-care specialist currently based in New York City, specializing in creative natural hairstyling and overall hair care. She is the originator of the Keepin’ It Kinky Campaign. Check out her work and videos at Keepin’ It Kinky and through her YouTube page.
More on Madame Noire!
- Stupid H*e Isn’t So Stupid: 7 Other Random Videos That Should’ve Been Banned
- Tracy Morgan and Why It’s Hard To Judge Family Relations
- Men of a Certain Age: The Pros and Cons of Dating Much Younger and Older Guys
- Undercover Brothers: Not-So-Famous Brothers of Famous Celebs
- Why Won’t My Hair Grow?!” 4 Reasons Why Your Hair is Stalling
- 7 Things That Could Change The Way He Feels About You
- I’m a Survivor: Maia Campbell Talks New Career and Sobriety