If I was to ask you what you know about Kalenna Harper, one of the singers from the trio of Diddy-Dirty Money, you would probably say you know her from the group and that group alone. But the singer-songwriter has been around for a good minute, writing songs for some big folks in the music industry since 2004, including powerhouse singers like Aretha Franklin, Fantasia, Christina Aguilera, and more. Her writing skills are actually what helped her find her way into Diddy-Dirty Money.
I got a call at 4 a.m. (*in my Diddy voice*), and he was like, ‘YOOO, I know this ain’t proper protocol, but I had to talk with you first before anyone. I want you to be in my group.’ The rest is history!
Now Harper is hoping to have some of the same success she had with her Diddy-led group, but as a solo artist. She’s dropped a new single today called “Go to Work,” which is very feisty and “tough,” along with its accompanying video, so she’s NOT playing games! Learn a little bit more about the writer-singer-philanthropist extraordinaire, her love lessons and fashion inspiration below.
- My greatest love lesson was learning how to love the “hell” out of somebody, lol. Knowing now that people do things out of fear and ignorance too. The only way they’ll learn is through love. I’m not saying to be a fool or a pushover, but sometimes when you LOVE, even through the bulls—, you become a better person.
- HA! My best trait about me is that I don’t judge people. I’m also bold. Be bold, be you, that’s what I say. Oh, and I tend to find beauty in EVERYTHING.
- It depends on what worst means to you, lol!!
- My favorite four albums of all time are: Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall, Prince’s Purple Rain, Sade’s Soldier of Love, AND OF COURSE, Last Train to Paris by Dirty Money. But that was a trick question because I have to say all of Missy Elliott’s albums and Lauryn Hill’s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill too.
- I was a military brat so I kind of lived all over the world. If i had to choose two places, it would be a in a dumb mansion in Alaska and some fly sh-t in Africa !! And a compound in Atlanta, AND a “stoopid” flat in L.A. and London…lol you asked!
My happiest time was…
- My wedding, having my son, and winning best group at the BET awards in 2011.
- OMG…I LOVE CLOTHES HONEY!!!! I’m a fashion head! My swag is too colorful because I’m evolving and my fashion is evolving with me. I love all the designers so it depends on what the season is calling for.
- My inspiration comes from my family. I have a wonderful and supportive husband who’s also my manager, Tony Vick, along with an adorable son. Like most parents, we are motivated and inspired by our children. We want to give them the love and opportunities at the best life. Aside from that, real life encounters with people, and situations out of our control.
- My favorite book right now is the Bible…
Be sure to check out Kalenna’s new single and video, “Go to Work,” which dropped today! You can find it below. Let us know what you think in the comments! Oh yeah, and just a warning, the lyrics can get kind of profane at times, just a heads up.
More on Madame Noire!
- TMI: Are Some Things Better Left Unsaid in Relationships?
- Skip the Club: 7 Better Ways to Meet Quality Men
- Why Women Like Bad Boys And Why They Shouldn’t
- Quirky and Colorful Tights for the Fearless Fashionista
- Long Hair Don’t Care: Male Celebs Who Have Generated Hair Envy
- Moving Beyond a Painful Relationship
- 6 Sex Myths Debunked