Darrin O’Brien, aka, Snow, was a notable cat because he was a white guy doing reggae, and was successful at it! Who would have thought?
Upon his release from prison for an assault charge, O’Brien was inspired enough to write the song “Informer,” which would go on to be, at the time, the highest charting and best-selling reggae single in U.S. history. The album that followed, 12 Inches of Snow, was also a big hit, selling 8 million copies. He released a second album, Murder Love, that did well internationally, but his work since then hasn’t really charted or had the same effect. His last CD dropped in 2002, but he still releases singles from time to time (including 2009’s “Adore You”). He also spends a lot of time doing charitable work and even does fundraising for cancer research after losing his wife to it.
Though he had some jams and some fans, in reality, Snow a Canadian artist, wasn’t really respected by reggae artists, as he was seen as giving people a watered down version of reggae/dancehall music. But don’t lie, you do a little jig when “Informer” comes on…
More on Madame Noire!
- Can An Artist Sell Sex and Still Have Their Music Taken Seriously?
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha: Are My Male Friends Keeping Me From Finding a Man?
- Thanks But No Thanks: Why I Refused To Be Her Bridesmaid
- How Ya Going? 9 of Our Favorite Celebs Of Trinidadian Descent (There’s Some Surprises!)
- An Open Letter to My Single Sistas: Being Single is Not a Curse, It’s A Gift
- UGH! 10 Things Men Do That Drive Women Nuts