Dr. Rebecca Lee Crumpler
In 1860, at the age of 29, Rebecca Lee Crumpler was accepted into the New England Female Medical College. She graduated four years later, becoming the first black female in the United States to obtain an M.D. degree. When the medical college closed in 1873, Crumpler also became the only black female to have graduated from the institution. In 1883, she published The Book of Medical Discourse, which is one of the first medical books to be published by a black person of any gender.
More on Madame Noire Business!
- Behind the Click: Ashley Baxter, Digital Marketing Manager for J.C. Penney
- How She Made It: Alia Jones-Harvey, Producer of A Streetcar Named Desire
- Why African Philanthropists Are Calling For Africapitalism
- Will Scandal’s Success Pave the Way for More Diverse Images of Black Women?
- How She Made It: Jeri Lynne Johnson, Founder of Black Pearl Chamber Orchestra
- Entrepreneur Spotlight: A Sister-Run Business Brings High-End Tea Stateside