Making excuses for the father’s behavior.
Motherhood forces women to mature quickly while fathers are often too frequently granted the option to lag behind. Your life changed and his should also. Don’t let him slide on responsibility because you already “know how he is.” He’s a father now, which means it is time for the phrase to mean something different.
LaShaun Williams is a Madame Noire contributor whose work has appeared in the New York Times and across several popular sites, such as HuffPost Black Voices and the Grio. You can visit her blog at lashaunwilliams.com or follow her on Twitter @itsmelashaun and Facebook.
More on Madame Noire!
- Boy, Bye!: 6 Stupid Reasons to Turn a Man Down
- Hair Raising: Iconic Women Who Changed the Standard for Black Hair
- Does Dating White Trump Your Black Card?
- 7 Things That Should Never Happen In The Bedroom
- Dangerously In Love: Warning Signs To Protect Your Heart From Harming You
- Are You A Coward When It Comes To Breaking Up?
- Can You Marry Someone You Don’t Love?
- So, What Do Their Moms Look Like