How to Recreate Amandla Stenberg’s 2021 Met Gala Hair
- First, Amandla’s hair was lightened with Redken’s Flash Lift Bonder Inside. Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo and Conditioner were also used to keep her hair and color looking healthy, before drying hair with the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer with the Diffuser attachment and Wide tooth comb attachment to lengthen Amandla’s hair out.
- Next, I prepared Amandla’s hair before styling with my own Mist Nourishing Water and Redken’s One United as a heat protectant. This combo works well for Amandla’s bleached hair, helping me to achieve as much as possible in a short space of time, as is the case with red carpet events!
- Then, Amandla’s hair was braided. To seal the braids, I spritzed all over my own Leave In Conditioner, followed by Redken’s Triple Pure 32 High Hold Hairspray and Quick Dry 18 Instant Finishing Spray for a strong, yet flexible hold – before using Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer with the Diffuser attachment until completely dry.
- To shape the finished style, bow, and tie, I wrapped, molded, and balanced the braids using my fingers; re-visiting the diffuser and hair sprays to help hold everything in place.
- I applied my own shaping technique using the sides of Dyson CorraleTM hair straightener to direct hair at the front into its final position; smoothing the back of the durag made of hair to sit and look its most authentic using the Styling concentrator attachment and the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer.
- The hairstyle was finished with Redken’s Shine Flash all over for red carpet glamour.