How to Recreate Lupita Nyong’o’s 2021 Met Gala Hair
- Lupita’s hair was colored ahead of time with Shades EQ 3N and 3NB, Shades EQ Bonder Inside 000, and Redken’s new Color Gels Lacquers 10 Minute.
- Preserving the health of hair is always my priority, and a caring foundation of your routine before getting to the styling part is a must. I used Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo and Conditioner to help add moisture and keep her hair looking healthy.
- At the hair styling stage, I prepared Lupita’s hair with Mist Nourishing Water from my own hair care range, spritzing all over to gently wet the strands.
- Then on a gentle speed, warm temperature, used Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer with the Wide tooth comb attachment to help lengthen hair as it dries, giving hair the ability to be braided down.
- Next up, the hair pieces. All were laid out, sprayed with Redken’s Quick Dry 18 Instant Finishing Spray and Triple Pure 32 High Hold Hairspray to help smooth and add hold, before setting in place with Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer with the Diffuser attachment.
- Once set, the hair pieces can be lifted almost like a sheet of wrapping paper or a layer of crepe paper.
- You’re then free to shape, create, and pin into your desired look as you wish. When securely in place, I used the diffuser and hairspray again for a secure and reliable hold.
The Dyson CorraleTM hair straightener let me sculpt the crown section of the hair. I have a technique where the sides of the flat irons are used to mold, shape and contour. And finishing with Redken’s Shine Flash gave Lupita’s hairstyle a red-carpet-ready glow.