MadameNoire Featured Video

Matt Barnes in speaking out regarding the altercation that occurred between him and ex-teammate Derek Fisher at the Los Angeles home belonging to his estranged wife, Gloria Govan. As you may recall, reports implied that Barnes flew into a jealous rage when he learned that Fisher and Govan are romantically involved. Barnes, however, insists that the rumors have gotten out of hand and that the media is painting the situation as something that it is not.

“I can’t believe people think I was some maniac driving 95 miles and listening to Tupac to go beat somebody up,” the father of two told ESPN. “No. I live 15 minutes away, and I was going over to check on my kids because they seemed uncomfortable. That was my main reason for going over there.”

Barnes said that one of his 6-year-old twin sons sent him a bizarre text message late Saturday evening that alarmed him.

“I’m like, first of all, why are you still up? It’s like 10 o’clock at night,” Barnes said. “So I text back, ‘I love you, and I miss you too.’ Then I FaceTimed him. I’m just like, ‘Hey, what’s up buddy?’”

“Now, Carter is like the rambunctious one. He’s always jumping off the walls. And when I saw his face, he was just sitting there, and I knew something was wrong. I was like, ‘What’s wrong, Carter?’ and he shook his head, ‘No.’ Then he lays his head down on the couch, puts a pillow in front of his face and says, ‘Mommy’s friend Derek is here.’”

At that point, Barnes asked to speak with his other son, Isaiah, who also appeared upset.

“This wasn’t a phone call. We were on FaceTime. I could see him and the look on his face,” the Memphis Grizzlies forward explained.

From there, he decided to drive to Govan’s home to make sure that his sons were okay. When he arrived, things quickly escalated and according to reports, a physical altercation ensued. Barnes would not go into detail about what happened because there is an ongoing investigation being conducted by the NBA as well as the Memphis Grizzlies.

Lt. Joe Hoffman of the Redondo Beach Police Department confirmed that officers did respond to a 911 call concerning an altercation between Govan, Fisher and Barnes on Saturday night. No charged were filed.

“We were close. We were friends,” Barnes said of Fisher. “Some things have happened to change that. It is what it is.”

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN