The former “Dancing With the Stars” co-host (it was way back when in season one), “Entertainment Tonight” correspondent and actress is another celebrity hailing from VI. Born and bred in St. Thomas, Canning got her start in radio and television as a teenager in the Virgin Islands. She worked at a station in St. Thomas, and in an interview with the Los Angeles Times in 1991, she explained what her experience was like. “I was scared to death,” she says of her first few times on the air. “For a long time all I could say was the time and the temperature. Then I would script everything I said.” She has definitely come a looooooong way.
So, any U.S. Virgin Islanders out there?
More on Madame Noire!
- An Open Letter To Men Suffering From Light-Skinned, Long Hair Syndrome: I’m Not Flattered
- Amending The Girl Code: When Your Friend Gets Married, Are Her Ex-Boos Fair Game?
- That Time An Old White Man Entertained Me With Tales Of Colored People On A Flight
- What Do Men Want? Who Cares…
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”
- C’Mon Now: Black Celebrities That White Folks Mistake For One Another (But They DON’T Look Alike…)
- Damn Mr. Right, I Need Mr. Right Now! 7 Signs You’re Too Thirsty For Someone To Put A Ring On It
Life Moments That Will Move You
She Tried It: Inahsi Naturals Aloe Hibiscus Leave-In Conditioner & Detangler
10 Ways To Financially Prepare For The Launch Of A Small Business
Grammy Award-Winning Robert Glasper Celebrates Black Music’s Impact on the American Sound
Revelations: Hibiscus Brew Cafe Nourishes Brooklyn Community With Island Flavors
Revelations: Brooklyn Rum Bar The Rogers Garden Pours Up For Its Community
1st Episode Drop: 'Listen To Black Women Podcast' On Relationships, Self-care And Body Hair
My Husband And I Attempted To Have A Creative Date Night At Home -Without A Babysitter - Here's How It Went