They’ve Got a Story To Tell: Celebs Who Went From Top Ramen to Top Dollar
Oprah Winfrey, the most prominent media mogul to, perhaps, ever exist was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi into a life of rural poverty. She was raised by her mother, a maid, and grandmother, and often had to wear dresses made from potato sacks to school, which caused her classmates to make fun of her. Also as a young lady, she was molested by her uncle, a cousin, and a family friend, which had a major effect on her (she later told her family in her ’20s about the abuse, and they didn’t believe her). In her teen years, she became recognized for her academics, winning awards for dramatic interpretation, oratory contests, and won a full scholarship to Tennessee State, where she studied communication. Moving through the binds of media, she became a radio host, anchor woman, morning show host and eventually the host of her own television show, “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” in 1983, which went on to air for the next 28 years. Since, Winfrey’s successes have included acclaimed movie roles, the OWN network (which is slowly but surely doing better), her popular magazine, and Harpo Productions. Her net worth is a whopping $2.7 billion dollars.
More on Madame Noire!
- HALF ON A BABY: The Top 7 Ways You’ll Know He’s Ready For Kids
- Race To The Ring: Will These Women Get Their Famous Men To Put A Ring On It?
- Are You an Alpha Female?
- Let’s Talk, Ladies: Are You Afraid Of The “S” Word?
- My Story: For Colored Girls Who’ve Considered Suicide When the Law Couldn’t Protect Them From Incest
- Locs to Love: 7 Celebs With Fabulous Locs
- Noire Naturals, Episode 1: The Natural Twist Out