Rico Nasty plays by her own rules. The sole female making a splash amongst “the lil’s” in the larger conversation surrounding Soundcloud rap, she’s ignored convention and found a way to create a fun style that’s totally 80’s punk rock meets early aughts rap princess. Check out 11 times the beauty broke all the rules for black girl hair below.
1. When She Rocked Pastel Hair Clips
While most black girls opt for silver and gold hair charms to adorn their twists and cornrows she went in another direction.
2. When She Went For A Braided Faux Hawk
She added the best accessory ever at a photoshoot- pure savagery!
3. When She Went For Mini Buns
The “Poppin” performer paired them with a sheer oversized jacket and a Selena tee.
4. When She Went For Full On Pigtails
She completed the schoolyard inspired look with tweenish makeup staples.
5. When She Added Two Giant Braids To The Back Because She Could
She previewed new music in a look that was all her own.
6. When She Reminded Us Who Was Nastiest Of Them All On Her Album Cover
Like most things black and magical baby hairs were labeled “ghetto until fashionable” but Rico reclaimed them on the cover of her upcoming debut album.
7. When She Sported Green Tips
She casually slayed in the color of envy and a denim skirt.
8. When She Went For Old-School Barrettes
She inspired memories of skinned knees and Luster’s Pink Lotion in her Marilyn Manson tee.
9. When She Invited Us To Taste The Rainbow
As always she took the unexpected route with chocolate lipstick.
10. When She Went Totally Yu-Gi-Oh!
She totally bucked what black girls are “supposed to do” and we kind of lived for it.
11.When She Embraced Magenta
The eyeshadow was cute but the sour patch kids really sealed the deal.