Go around the world in…well, a lot less than 80 days with savory (and simple) slow cooker recipes your whole family will love. From Africa to Indonesia, these exotic dishes will take your taste buds on a trip they’ll never forget.
Jamaican Country Ribs
We simply love this Jamaican version of country-style ribs. A little bit of spice and a little bit of sweetness gets you a lot of compliments come dinnertime.
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
6 bone-in pork country ribs (about 3 lbs)
2 tablespoons jerk seasoning (such as McCormick)
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks in juice 1 large green pepper, seeded and sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups cooked brown rice
4 scallions, sliced
1. Coat bowl of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place onion and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Season ribs with 1 tbsp of the jerk seasoning and place over onion and garlic. Drain pineapple, reserving cup of the juice, and scatter over ribs. Add green pepper.
2. Combine reserved pineapple juice, flour and remaining 1 tbsp jerk seasoning. Pour over ribs.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Stir in beans during last 30 minutes of cooking time. Serve with brown rice and garnish with scallions.
Polynesian Pulled Pork
Sweet and tangy sauce and King’s Hawaiian bread make this Polynesian dish a hit with kids and adults alike.
4 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
3 pounds boneless pork butt (shoulder)
Salt and black pepper
1 bottle (10 oz) San-J sweet and tangy sauce
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce 8 King’s Hawaiian sweet buns, split
1. Place peppers in a 5-quart slow cooker. Season pork with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker on top of peppers, fat side up.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together sweet and tangy sauce, pineapple and chili sauce. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours.
3. Remove pork and let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Strain and de-fat cooking liquid. When cool enough to handle, pull or chop pork.
4. To serve, top buns with peppers, pork and sauce.
Asian Five-Spice Meatballs
Seasoned with Chinese five-spice powder, this slow cooker recipe can easily be transformed into an awesome Asian-style meatloaf.
1 1/2 pounds ground meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 scallions, sliced, plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger root
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup ketchup
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 cups cooked white rice
1. Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine meatloaf mix, panko, eggs, scallions, ginger, onion powder, five-spice powder and soy sauce. Form into 12 meatballs, about 1/3 cup of mixture for each.
3. Combine beef broth, ketchup, tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour into slow cooker; place meatballs in bottom in a single layer. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
4. Serve with rice and garnish with sliced scallions.
Mango Chicken Tinga
Ground ginger and cinnamon add a layer of mild zest to this traditional Mexican chicken recipe.
1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
1 mango, halved, seeded, peeled, and diced
2 pounds chicken thighs, skin removed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 14 1/2 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup mango nectar
Hot cooked rice
Fresh pineapple wedges (optional)
Lime wedges (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)
Mexican crema (optional)
1. In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker place onion and mango. Top with chicken, chipotle pepper, garlic, salt, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. Pour tomatoes, chicken broth, and mango nectar over all. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 21/2 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from cooker; cool slightly.
2. Remove chicken bones. Discard bones and shred chicken. Return shredded chicken to cooking liquid.
3. To serve, use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken mixture to shallow bowls. Add a big spoonful of cooked white rice to each bowl. Spoon broth around rice and chicken and serve, if desired, with pineapple wedges, lime wedges, sliced green onions, and Mexican crema.
Coconut milk and curry powder bring the unmistakable essence of Indonesia to the table with this slow cooker meal.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 pound small potatoes, about 2 inches in diameter, quartered
1/4 pound peeled baby carrots
1 13.6 ounce can light coconut milk
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 large pitas or flatbreads, cut into wedges
Chopped parsley, low-fat plain yogurt and lime wedges (optional)
1. Coat slow-cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper and add to skillet. Saute 3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer beef to slow cooker. Layer in onion, potatoes and carrots. In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, curry, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder and cayenne. Pour over beef and vegetables in slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Gently stir in remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Serve over flatbread wedges with parsley, yogurt and lime, if desired.
African Sweet Potato-Peanut Stew
Peanut butter, cayenne pepper, and cilantro create a tantalizing trio of flavor in this meatless African meal.
3 cloves garlic
2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and stems
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Salt 1 cup water
3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1 can (15-19 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 package (16 ounces) frozen whole or cut green beans
1. In a blender or food processor with knife blade attached, blend garlic, cilantro, tomatoes with their juice, peanut butter, cumin, cinnamon, ground red pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt until pureed.
2. In a 4 1/2-6-quart slow-cooker bowl, pour peanut butter mixture and stir in water. Add sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans; stir to combine. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours or on high setting for 4-5 hours, or until potatoes are very tender.
3. About 10 minutes before sweet potato mixture is done, cook green beans as label direct; gently stir green beans into stew.