About “Socially Responsible Kids”
Election Day is coming up and this is the perfect opportunity to teach your kids how to be model citizens. In this episode, our Mommy In Chief and featured guest will offer some recommendations for raising socially responsible children.
Featured Guest: Dr. Marcella Runell Hall
Dr. Runell Hall is a social justice scholar and author. She has co-edited three award-winning books: The Hip-Hop Education Guidebook; Conscious Women Rock the Page: Using Hip-Hop Fiction to Incite Social Change; and Love, Race & Liberation: ‘Til the White Day is Done. Hall has also written for Scholastic Books, The New York Times Learning Network, VIBE, and various academic journals including Equity and Excellence in Education.
In May ’11, Hall earned her doctorate in Social Justice Education from UMASS, Amherst. Her dissertation is entitled Education in a Hip-Hop Nation: Our Identity, Politics & Pedagogy.
Currently, Hall is the Interim Director of the Center for Multicultural Education and Programs/Center for Spiritual Life at New York University (NYU). There she also serves as adjunct faculty in the Steinhardt School of Education and the Gallatin School of Individualized Study.
Marcella was born in Washington DC and raised in NJ & NY. She currently resides in Brooklyn with her husband, David Hall (aka DJ Trends) and their daughter Aaliyah.
Episode Links & Resources
- LINK: Sweet Blackberry
- SUGGESTED BOOK: The Skin You Live In by Michael Tyler, Illustrated by David Lee Csicko
- SUGGESTED BOOK: Love, Race & Liberation by JLove Calderon & Marcella Runell Hall (Recommendation for older kids, parents and educators)
- LINK: Children’s books that promote social justice and civic engagement
- TIP: Use web based 360 tours or You Tube clips if you can’t travel abroad. Example: Abu Dhabi Virtual Tour
- SOCIAL MEDIA BRIEF: Facebook Q & A – Do you vote when it’s a non-presidential election year?
- LINK: Here There Everywhere News for Kids
- LINK: PBSKids Zoom Election 101
- LINK: Volunteer Match
Want More Mommy In Chief? Watch these episodes:
- Episode 1: Are You A Good Enough Mother?
- Episode 2: New Motherhood and Balancing A Bust Work Life
- Episode 3: How to Decorate an Eco-Friendly Baby Nursery
- Episode 4: Foodie, Nicole Friday on Kids and Career
- Episode 5: Melissa Beck, From Hollywood to Stay At Home Mom
- Episode 6: Single Mom in The City
- Episode 7: Mommy Mogul and Marketing Wiz Monique Jackson at Home With Her Boys
- Episode 8: Beauty Maven Jodie Patterson Talks Four-Day Work Week for Moms
- Episode 9: Tonya Lewis Lee on Motherhood and the Importance of Women’s Health
- Episode 1: Back 2 School
- Episode 2: Happy Halloween
- Episode 3: Socially Responsible Kids
- Episode 4: Money Talks
- Episode 5: Keeping Families Healthy
- Episode 6: Thanksgiving Madness
- Episode 7: Highlights and Best Moments
- Episode 8: Stylish Moms
- Episode 9: Best Apps for Moms
- Episode 10: Socialite Kids
- Episode 11: Hair Talk with AfroBella
- Episode 12: Happy New Year!