About This Episode
Madeline Nelson, Senior Vice President of A&R at Sony, gives her take of the joys and challenges of being a single mom in New York City with a hectic career. Plus we chat with Madeline about her tips on raising an athletic pre-teen son.
About Madeline Nelson
Madeline Nelson is a single mom to a fantastic 12 year old son named, TJ. She is also a busy mom balancing motherhood and career as she is currently the VP of A&R, Artist and Label Relations at Sony Music. Her responsibilities at work include developing and nurturing new talent in coordination with the A&R teams across three labels: RCA, Columbia, and Epic.
Prior to Sony, she worked at Urban Zen, Donna Karan’s non-profit where she served as VP of Foundation Operations. Prior to that she also was a Project Manager at Steve Stoute’s marketing, Translation, LLC. She has served as a VP of Music Operations for New Jack Swing Productions/Interscope Records, where she managed hit-makers BlackStreet and worked with other talents such as Gwen Stefani, Snoop Dogg and Pharrell Williams.
Madeline is a Harlem native and continues to support philanthropic efforts aimed at helping women and children through her own non-profit organization, The Good-Well Giving Group. She is truly a superwoman and Mommy in Chief!
About Karyn Parsons
Karyn Parsons is best known as the character “Hilary Banks” on the long-running television show, “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.” Today she is a wife and mother of two. Parsons is also the Founder and President of the Sweet Blackberry foundation after being inspired by the true tale of a determined slave and the remarkable lengths he travelled to find his freedom. While growing up, Parsons’ mother, a librarian in the Black Resource Center of a library in South Central Los Angeles, would share stories of African-American accomplishment with her daughter. A mother and activist, Karyn created Sweet Blackberry to use the power of stories to inspire youth. Follow her on Twitter @Karyn_Parsons.
Want More Mommy In Chief? Watch these episodes:
- Episode 1: Mommy-To-Be: Pregnancy In 3 Stages
- Episode 2: The Truth About Breastfeeding
- Episode 3: Delivery Debate: Natural Birth Vs. C-Section
- Episode 4: The Perfect Mother’s Day Gift
- Episode 5: Actress Kym Whitley Talks New Baby & Food Allergies for Kids
- Episode 6: Keeping Your Child Entertained This Summer Without TV
- Episode 7: Ask a Black Father | Mommy in Chief Father’s Day Special
- Episode 8: Building Your Child’s Self Esteem
- Episode 1: Are You A Good Enough Mother?
- Episode 2: New Motherhood and Balancing A Busy Work Life
- Episode 3: How to Decorate an Eco-Friendly Baby Nursery
- Episode 4: Foodie, Nicole Friday on Kids and Career
- Episode 5: Melissa Beck, From Hollywood to Stay At Home Mom
- Episode 6: Single Mom in The City
- Episode 7: Mommy Mogul and Marketing Wiz Monique Jackson at Home With Her Boys
- Episode 8: Beauty Maven Jodie Patterson Talks Four-Day Work Week for Moms
- Episode 9: Tonya Lewis Lee on Motherhood and the Importance of Women’s Health
- Episode 1: Back 2 School
- Episode 2: Happy Halloween
- Episode 3: Socially Responsible Kids
- Episode 4: Money Talks
- Episode 5: Keeping Families Healthy
- Episode 6: Thanksgiving Madness
- Episode 7: Highlights and Best Moments
- Episode 8: Stylish Moms
- Episode 9: Best Apps for Moms
- Episode 10: Socialite Kids
- Episode 11: Hair Talk with AfroBella
- Episode 12: Happy New Year!