Last week, Nicki Minaj appeared on “Nightline” and she got very personal about witnessing her mother suffer in an abusive marriage to her father who was addicted to crack.
Nicki told the reporter growing up in that household was devastating and that she witnessed a lot of violence, saying:
“My father was abusive. It would be a real bad outburst and we were afraid for her [mother's] life because whenever he would have a real bad outburst, he would threaten to kill her.”
She added that his behavior angered her and said:
“I wanted to kill him, I wished he was dead.”
At the time, Nicki’s father simply told Nightline he’s been clean for several years, but family sources told TMZ her father is crushed that she decided to talk about their family life on TV, but worse than that they say she’s not telling the whole truth. According to the site’s sources,
“Nicki’s anecdotes are grossly exaggerated — Omar admits he had anger issues when she was a child … but insists it never reached the point Nicki described in her interview.”
Considering her father, Omar, was addicted to drugs, it wouldn’t be surprising for him to downplay the effect his actions had on his family. On the other hand, it’s interesting that Nicki says that environment likely gave way to the crazy alter egos we see her morph into on stage.
Regardless of any damage this interview may have done, Nicki says she has since forgiven her father for his abuse and her father insists he loves her and always has.
Check out her segment here when she also gets pretty upset at suggestions that she and Lady Gaga are similar. What do you think about her interview?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Hair Do’s and Don’ts According to the Fellas
- Intuition or Evidence: 6 Signs He Has A Chick On The Side
- Better Off Unwed: Couples Who Have Happily Kept A Ring Off Of It
- On To The Next! Women Who Found New Love In The Nick of Time…
- In Between The Sheets: Things All Women Are Insecure About In Bed
- WEEKEND WRAP-UP: Kevin Hart’s (Ex) Wife Not Acting Like A Lady + MORE!
- 6 Things You Can Stop Worrying About Doing For Your Man
- FLASHING LIGHTS! Couples Who Love To Flaunt Their Love