If you aren’t using lube, you don’t know what you’re missing. It makes every single thing you could possibly be into in bed, easier. Especially the edible variety (wink, wink). And if you think lubricant is just for the sexually adventurous, the kinky, and the people who also use vibrating, leather items, you’re wrong. In 2015, 17 percent of households in the United States used a personal lubricant. We’re sad for the other 83 percent. Very sad. Lubricant isn’t only for post-menopausal women who fail to produce enough natural moisture down-south, either. Plenty of young, perfectly healthy women struggle to, for lack of a more eloquent term, get wet enough. And that can make sex uncomfortable at best and painful at the worst! So, in case you needed more encouragement to grab some, here are 20 things you didn’t know about lubricant.
First of all, your saliva isn’t as good
No, it’s not. It dries out quickly. You can’t possibly produce as much as you need, as quickly as you need it. And, well, it’s not as pleasant as a lubricant.
The most popular brand…
K-Y is the most used brand. Nearly ten percent of people who use lubricant use K-Y. Astroglide and liquid silk are close seconds, but even nearly two percent use generic, store brands.
Their bases vary
Lubricants are either water-based, oil-based or silicon-based. The water-based ones are the easiest to wash out of bedding and are the most gentle on skin. Silicone-based lube, however, lasts longer. Oil-based lube lasts the longest of them all, but cannot be used with condoms.
If you love shower sex
If you love shower sex, go with silicone-based lubricant. It’s the most resistant to water. A water-based one would, naturally, just wash away too quickly.
If you love toys
A water-based lubricant is your best bet if you like to use silicone toys. But a water-based lube is best for glass or steel toys. Oil-based lube is just not a good idea for toys since it’s very difficult to clean off.
The best lube for protection
If you use condoms, dental dams or diaphragms, silicone-based lube is your friend. Oil-based ones can actually damage your protection, making it less effective.
Powdered lube is a thing
You mostly find this stuff in your gynecologist’s office, but if you can buy it for yourself, it’s pretty great. You mix powdered lubricant with water, and it creates a very nice jelly-like texture.
Powder is great for TSA
Hey, TSA can’t put a limit on how much powder you travel with. So if you’re going on a sex vacation, buy this stuff.
Cream based lubes also exist
But these are for the more, er, ambitious players. Like those who like backdoor action and fisting.
Some lube helps you make babies
Most forms of lubricant aren’t conducive to conceiving. Their ingredients can make it very difficult for sperm to survive, so they’re not great for couples who want to have kids. Astroglide makes lube specifically for people hoping to conceive. It has special pH levels that are good for sperm.
Edible lube is your friend
If you’re not a fan of going down on your partner, edible lube can make the experience so much more enjoyable. You can get it in just about any flavor you like. Really, give it a try.
Store it properly
If you leave lube in direct sunlight or in a room that is too warm, you’ll be greeted with a messy, drippy surprise next time you open the bottle. So just keep it at room temperature. But feel free to put it in the fridge if you and your partner like to experiment with cold sensations!
Be wary of tingling ones
Some lubricants are designed to cause a tingling sensation. But these tend to contain ingredients that can cause allergic reactions. For some people, at the very least, they can feel more like the burning sensation of a UTI than anything pleasurable.
There’s vegan lubricant
If you were worried about buying edible lubricant because you’re a vegan, there’s literally something for everyone. Good Clean Love makes a lube that is organic, vegan, hypoallergenic and tasty.
There’s no substitute for lube
Really, there isn’t, so don’t try to make one in, say, vaseline or baby oil. You’ll end up with an infection.