Beyoncé Knowles found her voice as the star of Destiny’s Child, which was shaped by her manager father Mathew and stylist mother Tina. After the group caught nationwide attention with the departure of three members, DC turned into a hit-making, Grammy-winning trio that became one of the biggest girl groups in music history. Not only is B one of the most talented vocalists of all time, but she is also known for her impeccable style and high-profile relationship with industry music mogul Jay-Z. Even though she’s been in the spotlight since her time in Destiny’s Child, there are some things her biggest fan might not know about Beyonce. Take a look at these 10 fun and random facts you don’t know about our girl Beyonce.
1. When Beyoncé was a child, her father/manager made her run a mile while singing, so she would be able to perform on stage without becoming exhausted.
2. Beyoncé’s mom says her daughter was a lonely kid who played with imaginary friends. “At lunchtime, I’d go to her school and she’d be pushing an empty swing, acting like there was somebody on it,” Tina Knowles told Elle Magazine.
3. While making her first movie The Fighting Temptations, in 2003, Beyoncé became so exhausted she would often sleep in her make-up so she wouldn’t have to spend time having it put on the next day.
4. Beyoncé walked out of a 2003 photo session for UK style bible The Face when fashion photog David LaChapelle asked her to strip and be covered with honey.
5. In June 2005, Beyoncé’s personal trainer banned her from eating various chicken curry dishes when her obsession started to spin out of control. The singer fell in love with the Indian cuisine on her first visit to Britain, and had curry flown from London to New York. That’s a 3,000 mile plane ride just for curry! Beyonce explained, “When I first went to Britain, I had a curry and it was unbelievably delicious. It was really, really good and I’ve been hooked ever since!”
6. Knowles’ former bodyguard Shortie weighed nearly 600 pounds. The New York Post reported that his considerable girth caused an elevator to stop between floors. Sadly, Matthew Knowles had to fire him to properly protect his daughter. The stage dad thinks his daughter should be protected by a younger and more buff guard, according to Atlanta Gossip. Matthew paid out the remainder of his $500,000-plus contract and a $100,000 bonus. And we know who came next: Julius.
7. Her first group, Destiny’s Child, was put together by her parents in 1990, when Beyonce was just nine. With all four girls growing up in deeply religious Christian households, the group’s name was taken from the Book of Isaiah – in which destiny and God’s promise to the faithful are a central theme. Then, in 2005, Destiny’s Child was paid $2 million to perform at the bar mitzvah of British retail billionaire Philip Green’s 13-year-old son. Talk about pay day!
8. Beyoncé was the second African-American woman ever to grace the cover of the ‘Sports Illustrated’ swimsuit issue when she appeared on the cover in 2007. She follows Tyra Banks who was the first African-American cover model in 1997.
9. As a child, she charged houseguests of her parents $5 each to watch her perform. Looks like shes had that entrepreneurial spirit since childhood!
10. Although Beyoncé has written most of her own lyrics, she says that she often has trouble remembering them!