Summer is going to get whatever body I’m giving, and that body will be wearing a bikini when I head to the beach.
Now, some may criticize my decision to wear a bikini because I’m a plus-size girl, but I’m not letting that hold me back anymore. At one point in my life, I was so apprehensive and self-conscious about showing my body at the beach that I wore jeans instead of a regular cover-up. A few years ago, though, I felt brave enough to try on a two-piece and wear it to the beach. I only felt comfortable enough to do that after seeing other big girls slaying in their bikinis online. They looked so well put together, and I lived for the aquatic fashions! Admiring what they could do is one thing, but working up the nerve to do it myself was another. Once I did it myself, nothing was the same. Now, I’m probably never going back to one piece suits again and that’s for a few reasons.
- It’s Hot. It’s entirely too hot for me to pretend that a two-piece bathing suit does not provide better ventilation. A two piece opens me up a bit more to getting caressed by the breeze.
- Bikinis are More Comfortable and Flattering. One thing I like about about a bikini is that I can mix and match the sizing for tops and bottoms as needed. I don’t have to decide between favoring my booty or my bust like I normally would with a one piece. The way my shape is set up, I need to go up a size for my lower body and wearing bikinis allows me to do that. As an added benefit, I get better support with bikini tops than I do with a regular one piece swimsuit. Not only that, but bikinis are more convenient to wear if I need to run to the ladies room while soaking up some sun and enriching my melanin.
- Bikinis Are Versatile. There are too many cute bikinis on the market to pass up, and I get to decide how much or how little I get to show off. On the days I’m feeling particularly brave, I can opt for a mid rise bikini. If I want to look a bit more sleek, I can go with a high-waist vintage two piece. Truth be told, vintage suits are more flattering to wear, and they give me the silhouette I want. That’s not always true with one piece suits, no matter how cute they are.
- I’ve Worked For This. It was not easy to work up the courage to go out in a bikini the first time I wore one. For the longest time, I thought that I would never be able to wear a bikini because I have a fuller figure. I worried about what people would say about me, how they would look at me for daring to bare some belly at the pool or on the beach. It took a lot of work to commit to the idea that my body and my style are my business. I have to feel good about what I’m wearing and how I’m looking. No one else has to like it but me.
- I Want To. It’s a pretty simple reason, but this is the one that matters the most. I would honestly rather wear a bikini than a one piece. With my hard-earned confidence, I know that I’ll rock whichever suits I decide to wear this summer.