All Articles Tagged "gifts"
In Mechanicsburg, PA a Good Samaritan donated $50,000 to pay off customers’ Walmart layaway gift accounts. Although the Samaritan would like to remain anonymous, the donor would liked to be called Santa B.
“We first thought he said $5,000 — but no, he wanted to make a $50,000 donation. We made him repeat it twice,” store manager Steve Myers told USA Today.
This past Monday was the last day for customers to pick up their items on layaway and Santa B arrived in the nick of time to help pay off the outstanding balances. If he had not donated that day, the pending layaway orders would have been canceled.
The items on layaway included electronics, toys, furniture and other gifts. Most of the orders were over $500; once they found out about the good deed, many customers were ecstatic and others, bewildered. Myers shared the news by calling customers to inform them of the donation so they would not think it was a joke.
Myers also told the newspaper that many of the customers, freed from the payments on their layaway orders will now be able to spend the saved money on household/family necessities.
Music plays from outside of your bedroom window, resonating against the late evening backdrop. You then drop whatever misleading but enthralling romantic novel you are currently invested in and you approach the window. You see your beloved below: stereo held high above his head, his body adorned in a trench jacket, and there’s love written across his handsome face.
OH, wait….rewind. That’s not your boyfriend, that’s John Cusack (See: Say Anything), and that couldn’t be your life, because your man does not have a romantic bone in his body.
For some reason, your boyfriend can spend his existence splurging on video games, but never on jewelry; bringing home a dozen donuts, but not a dozen roses; and sitting through three hours of basketball, but not two hours of Broadway.
He’s unromantic and it’s frustrating, but before you kick his adorable but oblivious butt to the curb, consider some subtle and not-so-subtle tips to help your man be the romantic that you always knew he could be.
When it comes to giving gifts, we love how generally low-maintenance men tend to be. We could wrap up an iTunes gift card, slap a bow on a bottle of bourbon, or even throw together a basket of homemade cookies, and they’d be happy, mostly.
But what happens when your man has all the latest toys, or a tie just won’t do on the holidays (no matter how nice)? Or, better yet, what if you’re bored with all the usual gifts?
More from YourTango: Do Actions Speak Louder Than Words? How To Know If He Loves You
That’s where we come in. We’ve scouted some great gifts so that when the holidays roll around, you’re prepared with something he’ll never forget.
Here, 10 gifts even the pickiest guys will love.
For The TV Lover
If he’s always glued to the tube, and if his DVR can’t keep up with his perpetual appetite for television, TiVo’s all-new Roamio DVRs might just be his dream machines. Called “the holy grail of set-top boxes,” by the Wall Street Journal, the Roamio Pro can record and live stream up to six shows at once and holds up to 450 HD hours of recordings. (To put this in perspective, the DVR that comes with his cable records 60 HD hours if he’s lucky,) The best part? TiVo is now lets him stream shows to his iPad or iPhone, to watch them anywhere, from the gym, to his office, to the ballet … wait … just because he can doesn’t mean he should (tivo.com, starting at $199, plus service).
Click the link to see more gifts at YourTango.com
The holidays are here again. It’s time to start receiving, er…giving. Now, you can do both at once.
These 9 romantic gifts, including everything from TiVo’s magical new DVRs to the comfiest leather chair in existence, may seem like they’re for your man, but really (let’s face it), they’re pretty great for you too.
1. Roamio DVRs: Is his DVR constantly filled to the brim? Well, now he can record his favorite shows, Old School and the Giants game without deleting your precious episodes of Real Housewives.TiVo’s Roamio DVRs can record and live stream up to six shows at once and holds up to 450 HD hours of recordings. He’ll alsolove when you give him full reign over the big screen during the playoffs, but you won’t feel like you’ve sacrificed at all. That’s because Roamio allows you to stream shows to your iPad or iPhone. So while he cheers for a touch down, you can hunker down next to him and catch the season premiere of Girls. Ahhh … quality time at it’s finest.
2. Pasta maker: If you gift him a pasta maker, he will make you (finally, maybe) that famous homemade pasta about which he so bragged when he was still trying to impress you. And hey, if he doesn’t, it’ll sure make for a fun date night.
3. Custom state silhouette: You love him, but if you have to spend one more night in his apartment looking at that “College” poster, you may just lose it. Treat your relationship to a little redecorating. This custom state silhouette is a great way to help him, uh, graduate to more attractive home decor. It celebrates his home state, and the wood frame has a manly feel, but you’ll also like looking at it and, hey, if you moved in together, you wouldn’t hate having this in your place.
For more gift ideas, log onto YourTango.com
What is one of the most exciting days in stores all year? Black Friday of course! Black Friday turns (some) consumers into beasts, with shoppers getting their claws out for the latest gadgets, toys and clothing throughout Thanksgiving, all at the same time.
While some might love the thrill of the hunt in stores, many are turning to their computers for their shopping adrenaline rush. If you haven’t considered Black Friday shopping online as an option, let us give you a few pros and cons about the splurge in e-commerce shopping this holiday season.
“How did you break free?”
Today, we’ll focus on three lessons that prepared me to do my work. I pray that you find something here to help you, or that you can share with others… but please seek medical help in your recovery:
1. I Learned Good Grief: At the age of 17, a well-meaning teacher questioned some of the changes in me. Tears overflowed as I tried expressing myself. She responded, “God is not moved by tears, He is moved by faith.” While her intent was to help, she only made it worse. All I heard was, “You’re failing God.”
2. I Let Others in My Process: I stopped denying my need for people. Depression led me to cut loved ones off for various reasons. I discovered that some people were uncomfortable with the fact that they could not “fix” me. So, I figured I’d save them the trouble and emotionally retreated.
3. I Explored My Gifts: Depression drained me and I stopped doing the things I loved. But one day out of sheer desperation, I started writing. What did I have to lose? In my writing, I found a sliver of myself again. Over time, the consistent act of doing what I loved helped me progress. Each taste of joy—no matter how faint—gave me reason to hold on and hope.
Please take some time to read the rest of Coach Felicia’s post on ESSENCE.com. Depression and other mental illnesses are very serious and it is important that we remain very aware of what’s going with our mental health.
Men only do what you allow them to do. In this case, it still holds true. Men will continue with the same habits even after messing up because they know exactly what to say or do to get one over on you. Stop being a bend over buddy and tolerating their mess. Here is a list of things men do that we allow time and time again:
Mother’s Day is this weekend and chances are, you’ll be pulling up 1-800-FLOWERS from your speed dial and ordering a bunch of flowers. However, if you’re in a panic over what to get momma, especially beyond the standard red roses and chocolate-dipped strawberries, this list will help you on your way to buying her something sweet and useful.
The Atlantic is quoting research from IBISWorld that says we’re spending $20 billion on Valentine’s Day goodies for our Valentine’s. Almost $10.7 billion of it will be on dining out. Overall, the site says, two-thirds of the money is spent on food. So the way to anyone’s heart is through their stomach apparently.
And despite being inundated with commercials for Jared’s and Kay’s, only $1.6 billion is spent on jewelry. Still a healthy amount.
More than half (56 percent), unsurprisingly, goes to our romantic partners. Or maybe it is a surprise. One would expect that the lion’s share would be for the significant other. But in some cases, that special someone is a friend (seven percent), family member (20 percent), or a pet (four percent).
Also unsurprisingly, men will be spending more on this holiday than women. The National Retail Federation says women expect to spend $53, but guys will spend $108. For all that we spend all year on lingerie, makeup, hair stylists, and all other things to look good and keep things nice, I think we deserve it ladies!
Happy Christmas Eve everyone! You got one day left to fantasize about your Christmas presents. What are you wishing for? A winning lottery ticket? An iPad? A clean breakup? Obviously, we’d love to hear about your Christmas time fantasies but since we only have room to express our thoughts right here in this post, we’ll start off with the three items that each of us editors are coveting. Make sure to let us know what you would like for Christmas in the comments below because we know for a fact that Santa Claus checks for Madame Noire on the regular.