Breakage: Why Your Hair Doesn’t Seem to Grow
- Never comb your hair from root to tip. Always start from the ends and work your way up
- Using a wide-tooth comb and a detangler/conditioner, detangle your hair in sections
- Do not comb through tangles. When you spot a tangle, take it apart with your fingers
- When you wash your hair, do it in sections. Do not rub it all over your head like the girls in the commercials
If it hurts to laugh, then your hairstyle is way too tight. This added stress to the hair will cause it to break. Make sure you let your stylist know when it hurts!
Silk and satin are your friends. If your hair is rubbing against anything else, you’re likely to experience split ends and breakage. Here are some tips to reduce friction with damaging fabrics:
- Wrap your hair up at night with a silk or satin scarf
- Use a satin pillowcase if you don’t want to wrap it up
- Line your hats with silk or satin when you can
- Wear protective styles to keep your ends from rubbing against your clothing
Maybe you’re just doing too much, ever thought about that? Let your hair rest. Low manipulation styles include:
- Roller sets
- Bantu knots
- Twist/braid outs
- Pin curls
In this situation, you would want to consult a licensed medical professional.
Please remember that everyone’s hair grows differently. If your hair is not growing as fast as the next girl, don’t fret! To know precisely how long your hair grows per month you can:
- Measure your new growth (relaxed)
- Braid your hair in singles and measure the new growth (naturals)
- Straighten a part of your hair and compare it to the length from the previous month (naturals)
Also note that different sections of the hair grow at different rates. For instance, the front of my hair grows much slower than the back.
Hope this helps. Happy hair growing!
More on Madame Noire!
- 10 Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Surprisingly Normal
- Hairstyle Dos and Don’ts for Oblong Faces: Kelly Rowland
- Reality Stars Who Should Regret Ever Saying Yes to The Cameras
- Why Are Black Women Attacked? Simple: Black Don’t Crack
- The “Precious” Effect: Black Women and Weight Problems
- Black Men Who Refuse to Date Black Women: TODAY on “Life Changers”
- 7 Phone Apps You Don’t Want Your Boyfriend To Have
She Tried It: Inahsi Naturals Aloe Hibiscus Leave-In Conditioner & Detangler
Kim Kardashian Lands Olympic Partnership Deal, Shapewear Line To Be Worn By Team USA Athletes
She Tried It: Ivy Park Drip 2 and 2.2 Black Pack
Pillow Talk Relationships: How to navigate complex and uncomfortable conversations
Real Talk About Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in the Black community
Prioritize Your Skincare With These Tips For Melanin-Rich Complexions
Burt’s Bees Skincare Works Harder, Not Harsher
T-Boz Warns Fans To Stay Alert After Daughter Was Potentially Targeted By Human Traffickers