There are women who appreciate the finer things in life and hope for fairy tale endings; then, there are women who expect nothing beneath the best or less than picture perfect, commonly known as siddity.
Often used to describe women who are “uppity” or “put on-airs,” whether or not the term is derogatory is left to the interpreter. Some wear the title proudly while others struggle to appear “down,” because being siddity comes with pros and cons. Seemingly high-class women are thought to be exclusive and, therefore, have a tendency to attract checklist men (college-educated, solid career, good family, etc.). On the other hand, people are inclined to believe they are judgmental and unapproachable.
Sound like your life in two sentences? It just may be. Here are 12 signs you qualify as siddity:
Back in the day, you “went out” with a guy who sold weed but always knew better than to marry a hood.
- They’re just for fun.
You’d rather pay an extra 10 cents for toothpaste at Target than walk into Wal-Mart.
- It just feels dirty.
You don’t go Dutch on a date, ever.
- Any guy who’s serious about getting to know you should, at the very least, be willing and able to cover a full meal. Like, seriously.
You refuse to shop at “black” malls.
- The only things worth buying at black malls are baby Jordan’s and ice cream. Plus, people get shot.
Hell will freeze over before you wear anything considered “urban.”
- Just say no to fitting the mold, right?
You love that your hair is long and natural.
- Because all black girls don’t need weave for length. *flips hair*
You don’t respond to a “holla.”
- Whether he’s a Hot brown-skinned cutie with low-frequency waves or a greasy brotha in Deebo’s house shoes, holla-speak like “Psst!” and “Eh, Miss Lady” is unworthy of acknowledgment.
- Replacing “-er” endings with “-a” sounds so unnatural. And “-ucka?” Well, it’s just awkward and so unladylike.
You would never take any guy without a college degree seriously.
- Unless he dropped out to head a super-successful startup venture.
Once upon a time, you wanted to be Dionne (or Stacey Dash in Clueless).
- “Jeepin’? Jeepin’? No. But, speaking of vehicular sex, perhaps you can explain how this cheap K-Mart hair extension got into the backseat of your car.” – Dionne
The only quality car is a foreign one.
- A broke Beamer beats a brand new American-made anything.
Panties aren’t coming off before three months.
- There is no such thing as free goodies, especially when they are quality.
LaShaun Williams is a Madame Noire contributor and columnist whose work has appeared in the New York Times and across several popular sites, such as HuffPost Black Voices and the Grio. Visit her blog Politically Unapologetic for more on love, life and culture, or follow her on Twitter @itsmelashaun and Facebook.
More on Madame Noire
- Mind Your Manners! Behavior That Will Get You the Side Eye in Public and Private
- 7 Things Some Women Have GOT to Stop Doing in Public
- Matches Made in Heaven: 6 Celebrity Couples We Would Love to See
- 10 Things ‘Natural’ Women Wish People Would Stop Assuming
- Celebs Who We Didn’t Know Were Black
- 14 Signs He’s Just Not That Into You