Chicago Getting $35M for Bus Projects, Durbin Says
(Crain’s) — More than $35 million in federal transportation funding is headed to two transit projects in Chicago. U.S. Sen. Richard Durbin announced Thursday that the grants had been awarded from the Department of Transportation. The money will fund two efforts that the senator’s office says will reduce congestion, expand public transit access and encourage economic development.
More than $24 million will be given to the Chicago Department of Transportation to establish 2 miles of downtown bus priority lanes. That money also will be spent on bicycle lanes, streetscape enhancements and pedestrian improvements.