Almost two months ago, I had a pre-dinner with one of my friends from middle school. I call it a pre dinner because shortly after, she was meeting one of her friends from college to have a full, proper dinner. Just so happens, in college I was in an internship program with this girl, so I said hello and reminded her of this fact. After I explained how we were all “connected,” she said, “Isn’t it amazing how all educated, black people are just one degree away from another educated, black person?” After I walked away from this woman and my friend, I found myself feeling a way about the “educated, black people” label. This was over a month ago, and up until now, I couldn’t quite figure out what it was about that phrase that didn’t sit so well with me. But today, I found the answer. I was scrolling through my Facebook timeline, and stumbled across this rather old article: “27 Things Educated, Black People Like.” There was that phrase again. I clicked to see what it was about and while there were several things that I do indeed enjoy, like Neo Soul, weddings, mega churches, dressing up, and advanced degrees, I found there were several things that “educated, black people” stereotypically do and enjoy that I just can’t get down with…
- MN Business
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Don't Shoot
- Disturbing Video Of Laquan McDonald’s Fatal Shooting Leads To Protest In Chicago
- 5 Black Lives Matter Protesters Shot In Minneapolis
- Black Lives Matter: Brazilian Police Kill Citizens 6 Times More Than U.S.
- On A Corridor Of Chaos, Natalie’s Cakes Thrives One Year After Mike Brown’s Death
- Live From Ferguson: Canfield Drive One Year Later
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2015 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural