All Articles Tagged "Ground Zero"

Lower Manhattan's Big Shift

September 8th, 2011 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(Wall Street Journal) — Even before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Lower Manhattan—salted with shabby government offices, storefront delis and foreboding bank buildings—was rarely counted among the city’s more charming residential neighborhoods. And for a while after the attacks, its streets grew seemingly more inhospitable.  An acrid sting lingered in the air, along with a palpable anxiety. The wreckage at Ground Zero smoldered for months. Barriers and debris blocked streets. The National Guard was a constant presence, checking the identification of residents.  A decade later, Lower Manhattan has undergone a significant shift into one of the fastest-growing residential sections of New York. Adding 26,800 residents over the past 10 years, the southern tip of the island below Canal Street has nearly doubled the population it had in 2000, according to U.S. Census data.  “As things were rebuilding, we were returning to some semblance of normal. I just realized one day, it just struck me that it was a new normal. But it was normal,” said Michael Kaufman, who has lived in Battery Park City for 16 years.

Read More…

President to Travel to Ground Zero to Honor Lives Lost

May 5th, 2011 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(New York Times) — President Obama travels to ground zero in lower Manhattan Thursday afternoon, six days after ordering a daring nighttime raid in Pakistan that killed Osama bin Laden, the author of the terrorist attack that turned this patch of land into hallowed ground. Mr. Obama, in his first visit as president to ground zero, plans to lay a wreath at a memorial to the nearly 3,000 victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. He will also meet privately with family members of the victims, firefighters and other rescue workers who died in the September 2001 attacks.  “He wants to meet with them and share with them this important and significant moment, a bittersweet moment,” the White House press secretary, Jay Carney, said on Wednesday.

Read More…

 

Bush Declines Obama’s Invitation to Ground Zero

May 4th, 2011 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(New York Times) — President Obama invited former President George W. Bush to join him at ground zero in New York City on Thursday to mark the killing of Osama bin Laden, but Mr. Bush declined, a spokesman for the former president confirmed on Tuesday.  “President Bush will not be in attendance on Thursday,” said his spokesman, David Sherzer. “He appreciated the invite, but has chosen in his post-presidency to remain largely out of the spotlight. He continues to celebrate with Americans this important victory in the war on terror.”

Read More…

Noire Notes

September 8th, 2010 - By madamenoire
Share to Twitter Email This

The Silicon Valley Hustle of Tristan Walker, VP at FourSquare [ENTREZ]

New Music: Ron Isley featuring Lauryn Hill [ENTREZ]

Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez Caught Kissing in Paris [ENTREZ]

Islamophobia Did Not Start at Ground Zero [ENTREZ]

Georgia Mayor Makes Sagging Pants a Crime [ENTREZ]

Detroit Mayor Calls Fires ‘Natural Disaster’ [ENTREZ]

NY’s Governor Paterson Pushing For Relocation Of Ground Zero Mosque

August 17th, 2010 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(News One) — Gov. Paterson plans to meet with the developers of a planned mosque at Ground Zero this week to discuss moving the project elsewhere in Manhattan, officials said Tuesday. Paterson told Rep. Peter King (R-L.I.) his intention to meet with the developers of Park51 during a phone call Tuesday morning. The governor last week floated the idea of giving state land to developers in order to move the project away from Ground Zero.

Read More…

Ground Zero Health Deal Faces Hurdles

June 17th, 2010 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(WSJ) — After years of frustration, workers sickened in the recovery and cleanup efforts after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks are on the verge of getting paid for their illnesses. Yet the proposed legal settlement of up to $712 million also would pay money to thousands of people who aren’t sick at all.

That’s just one of the concerns that could scuttle the proposed deal, which requires approval of 95% of those suing for compensation.

Read More…

Ground Zero Deal Gives Plaintiffs $712.5 Million

June 11th, 2010 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(NYT) — Lawyers for the city and about 10,000 rescue and cleanup workers who say their health was damaged at ground zero announced Thursday that they had negotiated a new, $712 million settlement to replace one that a federal judge rejected three months ago.

Read More…

Condé Nast Considers Move To New W.T.C. Tower

May 14th, 2010 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(NYTimes.com) — The publishing giant Condé Nast has been talking to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey about moving to 1 World Trade Center when it is completed, a potential coup for the signature skyscraper rising at ground zero. According to real estate executives who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks were secret, the publisher would take up as much as one million square feet in what is planned to be the country’s tallest office tower, a symbolic 1,776 feet.

Read More…

As Tower Rises, So Do Efforts to Buy In

April 27th, 2010 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(New York Times) — The planned skyscraper once known as the Freedom Tower was scorned for years by urban planners, downtown residents and real estate executives who regarded it as an oversize and unnecessary exercise in waste and hubris.

But the acrimonious debates, cost overruns and lengthy delays in building the tower appear to be over. More than 1,400 workers are pouring concrete and installing girder upon girder. And with the red steel latticework for the obelisk-shape building now rising more than 240 feet at ground zero, it has turned into an object of desire.

Read More…

City Contests Decision on Ground Zero

April 15th, 2010 - By TheEditor
Share to Twitter Email This

(New York Times) — Lawyers defending the city and its contractors from lawsuits filed by about 10,000 people who worked on rescue and cleanup operations at ground zero went to a federal appeals court on Wednesday to challenge a judge’s authority to block a settlement.  The settlement, reached last month, would divide $657.5 million among the workers, based on the severity of their illnesses and the level of their exposure to contaminants.

Read More…