All Articles Tagged "BlackVoices"
A representative for Beyonce categorically denied a new report in The Hollywood Reporter about supposed delays to the singer’s fifth studio album on Wednesday, telling The Huffington Post that an official release date had never been set.
Beyonce is recording music in the studio while completing her Mrs. Carter World Tour, the representative said in a phone call to HuffPost. A press rollout will accompany any official release date (and, if need be, any official delays).
The 31-year-old singer has been working on the forthcoming album for some time now, her first since she released “4″ in 2011. While she has performed new music in the form of ad campaigns with H&M and Pepsi, she has yet to debut an official single off of the record.
In a story published Wednesday, THR cited anonymous sources who claimedBeyonce’s album is officially months late, and that Columbia Records, Beyonce’s label, had hoped to release the project in the spring.
According to the magazine, Beyonce rejected 50 songs from a bevvy of A-list songwriters. It’s not uncommon for tens, if not hundreds, of finished songs to be presented to vocalists at Beyonce, Rihanna and Katy Perry levels of fame. Diplo recently revealed that he submitted two tracks for the album, which he believes were ultimately scrapped.
Despite detectives’ pleas to national media, the disappearance of an 18-month-old black boy with the wide smile has yet to grab the widespread attention given to other missing children’s cases. Some advocates say the reason why may be as simple as the toddler’s gender – and his race.
From the still-unsolved slaying of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey more than 15 years ago to the disappearance and killing of 2-year-old Caylee Anthony, the public has watched with rapt attention as many cases involving young children unfolded, often over many months. Yet Amir Jennings, the little boy who hasn’t been seen since he was captured on surveillance video with his mother in South Carolina nearly a year ago, has registered as scarcely a blip on the nation’s consciousness.
“Media has always leaned toward the cute little kids,” said Monica Caison of the Wilmington, N.C.-based CUE Center for Missing Persons. “And unfortunately, a lot of times they think cute little kids are white.”
Amir’s mother, Zinah Jennings, was convicted Friday on a charge related to his disappearance and sentenced to 10 years in prison. The 23-year-old woman has been jailed since December, and police arrested her after she told them false, misleading stories about the boy’s whereabouts. Jennings has maintained that she left the boy somewhere safe, but prosecution witnesses said the young mother claimed she was stressed and pondered selling or giving away the boy.
Jennings’ mother says she last saw her wide-eyed, giggly grandson early on the morning of Nov. 28, 2011. He went to a bank with his mother the next day but has not been seen since. A store owner has testified she saw the boy and his mother a month later, but prosecutors challenged that assertion, and there was no surveillance video to back up the claim.
In the months since he disappeared, Amir’s grandmother has celebrated his second birthday. His mother has given birth to a second child. And the national spotlight that initially shone on the case has waned.
Read more on how Amir’s race and gender are playing a role in the missing news coverage on BlackVoices.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- KISS & TELL: 6 Celebs Who Just Couldn’t Keep Their Business In The Bedroom!
- Hate Baby Mama Drama? Here’s How To Avoid It
- Where Are They Now? The Cast Of Baldwin Hills!
- Color Trends: 5 Fall 2012 Hues To Wear Now
- True Life: This is How He Got Me to Go Out With Him
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “Baby Boy”
- People Telling You Not To Wear Heels And 6 Other Tall Girl Problems
Gabby Douglas is really big in her hometown. Really big and painted on a wall.
The gold-medal-winning gymnast has a giant mural painted in her honor in Virginia Beach, Va. And she loves it.
“WOW!!! This is amazing!! (hashtag)so honored,” Douglas tweeted Friday from the Olympics in London, where the 16-year-old gymnast won two gold medals at the Summer Games.
The mural shows Douglas holding a gold medal with an American flag backdrop. It says “Way to go Gabby.”
Check out more pics of Gabby’s mural on BlackVoices.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Golden Boys: A Final Look At Olympics Cuties From Across The World!
- Say It Ain’t So! Chad Johnson Arrested for Headbutting Evelyn Lozada
- Show ‘Em What You Working With! Video Vixens Who’ve Moved On From Shaking It Fast!
- Men Are Like Chips, You Can’t Have Just One: The 5 Boos You Need In Your Life
- The Good Guy Allergies: Why Is It That Good Guys Bore Me?
- Somebody Lied to You And Your Lacefront: 9 Celebs Who Need a Lacefront Wig Intervention
- Bajan, Baby! 10 Of Our Favorite Celebrities of Barbadian Descent (And A Few Random Surprises…)
Tyra Banks is in spring cleaning mode, starting with “America’s Next Top Model” and ending (we hope) with her headquarters.
Banks is currently at work (well, in a hands-off sort of way) on the Tyra Banks TZONE at the Lower Eastside Girls Club, a space within the Lower Eastside Girls Club’s new Center for Community. As the New York Times reports, Tyra has recently turned her focus to female entrepreneurship and empowering young girls, so the combo makes perfect sense.
By working with and around the girls, Tyra tells the Times, “I can do normal work here and they can see me, to know that this is what a business is. It’s not about living on a red carpet. I am a businesswoman who goes to work every single day.”
Read more about the building plans for Tyra Banks’ TZONE on BlackVoices.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Can We Stop the Black Male Bashing…At Least on Father’s Day?
- Being Selfish or Being Sensible? What’s So Wrong With Not Wanting To Have Children?
- Looking Within: Am I A Match For The Ideal Man I Am Praying For?
- OOoo Girl, No! 6 Hair Mistakes You Need Not Make
- Don’t Be His Fool, or His Doormat: Excuses Women Need to Stop Making For Men
- In Summer Fashion, White Is The New Black: 6 White Pieces for Your Wardrobe
- You Could’ve Kept That: 9 Movie Remakes and Sequels That Shouldn’t Have Seen the Light of Day
More than ever, celebrities are cashing in on weight loss endorsements. And at some point, I’m sure you’ve all witnessed the countless weight loss advertisements featuring African-American celebrities, with Jennifer Hudson (Weight Watchers),Janet Jackson (NutriSystem), and Mariah Carey(Jenny Craig) being the most recent additions. While, I’m happy at the increase of African-American endorsements and health awareness I’m skeptical as to whether or not these advertisements are giving off the right impression. Are weight loss programs (such as Weight Watcher’s, Nutrisystem, and Jenny Craig) enough to obtain a Hollywood figure?
For the skinny, visit BlackVoices.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Hair Do’s and Don’ts According to the Fellas
- Intuition or Evidence: 6 Signs He Has A Chick On The Side
- Better Off Unwed: Couples Who Have Happily Kept A Ring Off Of It
- On To The Next! Women Who Found New Love In The Nick of Time…
- In Between The Sheets: Things All Women Are Insecure About In Bed
- WEEKEND WRAP-UP: Kevin Hart’s (Ex) Wife Not Acting Like A Lady + MORE!
- 6 Things You Can Stop Worrying About Doing For Your Man
- FLASHING LIGHTS! Couples Who Love To Flaunt Their Love
You would not believe the mess that still happens around racism in this world. Read more about what Oprah experienced on the far, far end of the world, better known as Australia, here.
Beyonce Knowles is still in work mode. Although her clothing-designer mother,Tina, was previously the only person shutting rumors that her daughter was expecting a baby with husband, Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter, on ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show,’ now the 29-year-old singer herself is letting the world know that her concentration is still on her craft.
Read more here.
So much happens in the world, so little time! But–have no fear, Madame Noire & AOL’s Black Voices present to you: “NOIRE VOICES,” a gallery of all that’s happened in chocolate news this week. Flip through and see if there’s any bit of news you may have missed!
Since making a splash ten years ago in the hit Showtime series ‘Soul Food,’ Boris Kodjoe has made a conscious effort to shake his sex symbol status and be taken seriously as an actor.