There’s always been a little bit of a beef between au natural women and women with relaxers. Well, we’re here to settle the argument with a pros and cons list.
In this corner, we have focused fighter. She spends her time keeping her hair from moisture and frizz. Watch out for this pretty little thing, she keeps a comb in her back pocket.
Miss Au’ Natural
- Healthier hair that’s not stripped away of natural oils
- Less breakage, if kept moisturized. Because natural hair is stronger it’s can handle chemicals from hair dye better than permed hair. You also have the option to style curly or flat iron for a straight look, although excessive heat should be avoided.
- Major increase in daily maintenance. No longer are the days when you can brush your doobie wrap and go. Also, natural hair needs to be moisturized daily, co-washed at least twice a week and detangled as often as possible.
- Straight styles don’t last as long because humidity cases frizz. Also if you avoid hairspray, sleek styles may not stay in place.
- Sensitivity to styling products. You’ll find, if you’re in the process of going natural that you hair will take to certain products and hate others. Miss Jessie’s has an amazing range of products that work best for natural hair. But as any beautician will tell you, it’s all about training your hair to work in a new environment. By trial and error you’ll know eventually what works for your hair.