In our last Black Beauties To Know And Love, we wanted to show a little love to actress and singer Marpessa Dawn. If the name doesn’t ring a bell, that’s not a surprise, because Dawn’s career wasn’t the lengthiest. However, her beauty was well-known. With the Oscars airing on Sunday, we thought we’d showcase the talents of Philly-born Dawn, whose acting work helped her film, Black Orpheus, win Best Foreign Film at the 1959 Academy Awards. That same film was a major influence for artist Jean-Michel Basquiat, and according to President Barack Obama, one of his late mother’s favorite movies . Get to know more about her life and legacy.
- MN Business
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- Don't Shoot
- CNN Reporter Mistakes Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Members For The Crips
- How A Traffic Stop Ended In Tragedy: Dashboard Footage In Walter Scott Murder Released
- Why President Obama’s Selma Speech Was So Disappointing
- Scathing Ferguson Report Highlights The Racial Bias Of The City’s Government, And The Debtor Prison Culture
- Must Watch: Black Mothers’ New Year’s Resolutions For America
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2015 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural