Daily Dangers: Harmful Items Used In Our Everday Lives

December 4, 2011  |  
1 of 8

Well all know about outdoor pollution, but what about indoor pollutants?  According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, either by accident or faulty manufacturing, household consumer products injure an estimated 33.1 million people in the United States every year. We can also pinpoint a number of invisible hazards from products we buy that aren’t as immediately apparent. Scientists have realized that chemicals found in a wide variety of the goods we use every day may be more toxic than previously thought and realized that people are more exposed to harmful electrical currents now more than ever.

Take a look at these 7 products and learn what dangers could be lurking in your home right now…

1. Cell phones

Every single electrical device in our lives is exposing our body to harmful electromagnetic radiation and one happens to be rubbed up against your face every day-your cell phone.  There is a definite risk that the radiation emitted from a cell phone antenna can cause cancer and other health problems. It is a risk that affects hundreds of millions of people around the world.  It’s extremely important to wear earphones when on the phone, whether you are in the car or not.  Also, even if your phone is off and charging at night, it is still constantly looking for a signal and therefore radiating waves into the air.  Studies by Danish scientists have shown that 20 – 80% of the electromagnetic radiation generated by mobile phones, depending on the make, is absorbed directly into the brain of the user. A few minutes exposure to cell phone type radiation can transform a 5% active cancer into a 95% active cancer.

2. Pesticides

According to the National Pesticide Telecommunications Network, 90 percent of households in the United States use some form of pesticides.  Pesticide is a broad term that encompasses a variety of chemical formulas that kill everything from tiny microorganisms to rodents. They could be insecticides, fungicides, disinfectants or other varieties. Because these are poisons, the U.S. EPA requires pesticide manufacturers to include the toxicity level of the product on its packaging. Since a majority of people’s exposure to pesticides happens indoors, be sure to ventilate any enclosed spaces after applying a pesticide and do not use unauthorized ones. If hiring a professional pest control service, ask them to review with you the chemicals they will use in your home before they spray.

3. Lead Paint

In 1991, the U.S. government declared lead to be the greatest environmental threat to children.  Children’s bodies are more susceptible to feel the effects of toxins in the paint, but adults are just as likely to ingest it and become sick too.  Even low concentrations can cause problems with your central nervous system, brain, blood cells and kidneys.  It’s particularly threatening for fetuses, babies and children, because of potential developmental disorders. Many houses built before 1978 contain lead paint.  The intact paint on a surface won’t kill you.  However, once the paint begins to peel away it will release the harmful lead particles that you can inhale. Therefore do not try to remove lead-based paint by sanding, scraping or burning it because that will liberate the toxic metal. Leave it to a professional instead.

4. Hair dryers

To put it in technical terms, 2.5mG is the generally accepted limit of magnetic field exposure, but the average hair dryer, vacuum cleaner or electric can opener that we use, can emit 300mG or more!  This is the type of level of EMF we are being continuously exposed to. Some hairdryers even go as high as 700mG and there has been continual proven links between hair dryer use and leukemia. This is also proven in studies by the University of Southern California and the National Cancer Institute who have also linked children’s leukemia to hair dryers.  Try to find hairdryers with an EMF (Electric and Magnetic Fields) and try to limit how many days per week you use it.  Target carries several options for low EMF hairdryers here: http://www.target.com/s/low+emf+hair+dryer#?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google&CPNG=health+beauty&adgroup=hair+dryers&LNM=Low%20EMF%20hair%20dryer&MT=broad&LID=17p849038&KID=744b4fb9-9042-5b69-3aa6-000045d4727f

5. Mold

Mold can appear overnight, literally, and is attached to warm, moist areas aka the bathroom.  Mold spores can trigger asthma symptoms, such as coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.  Allergic reactions include sneezing; runny or stuffy nose; itchy, watery eyes; and inflamed sinuses.  Mold often grows in a circular pattern and can be black, brown, white, yellow, pink or greenish-blue.  Common spots to find the fuzzy stuff are basement walls and carpets, closets and on wooden backs and bottoms of furniture stored in damp spaces.  To combat mold, keep rooms well ventilated and install fans if windows aren’t available.

6. Microwaves

Think of it this way, if microwaves can cook a piece of thick beef don’t you think these waves will also have the same effect on human tissue?  Well they do. Microwaves have the power to burn human tissue and the eye is particularly susceptible.  Microwaves work by using high-frequency radio waves (called microwaves) to make the molecules in your food move very fast, creating heat.  What makes microwaves so effective is that the radio waves they emit have the ability to pass through paper, plastic and glass while being absorbed by food. Microwaves produce non-ionizing radiation which itself isn’t harmful in tiny quantities, but in large doses it can do real damage. The “leakage” of microwave radiation is strictly monitored by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and manufacturers have to prove that their microwave oven leaks only a miniscule amount of radiation.  Don’t stare into the microwave because your food will not cook faster if you do, and you will be offering dangerous radio waves into your body.  Also, if you notice any sort of damage in your microwave, contact a professional to test the amount of radiation leakage as soon as you can.

7. Cleaning products

The AAPCC reports that more than one million children under 5 years old are exposed each year to potential poisons such as medicines and household chemicals.  Like some children medications, the bright colors and sweet scents of cleaning products make them look appealing to little ones.  But there’s nothing pretty about the health problems they can cause. The most common products ingested by children are drain, oven and toilet bowl cleaners, bleach, detergents, furniture polish and rust remover.

For a complete list of harmful chemicals, go to this website http://www.healthyhouseinstitute.com/a_875-Some_Cleaning_Products_More_Harmful_Than_Helpful.

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN