Rihanna Snags 11th No.1 Single: Passes Janet Jackson & Stevie Wonder
Rihanna’s “We Found Love” single may be bringing her drama from the Rape Crisis Centre, but it’s also bringing the star to the top of the music charts.
The single became the controversial singer’s 11th No.1 single, breaking the three-way tie she shared with Janet Jackson and Stevie Wonder at the number 10 spot. The record now ties her with Whitney Houston and makes her the fastest growing solo artist to chart 20 top ten hits (The Beatles are the only group to do it faster).
I don’t want to sound like a hater, but do you see the other names here: Stevie, Whitney, Janet, The Beatles? I respect Rihanna as an artist and I generally like her songs, but it’s crazy to see someone who’s only been on the scene for six years shattering records held by some of the biggest and best names in music.
What do you think about Rihanna’s record-breaking success—well deserved or too much too soon?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Splitsville: 7 Celeb Couples Who Divorced in Record Time
- Falling in Love with an Ugly Man
- The Truth @bout Natural Hair With Anu: Weekly Q&A
- Top 9 Ways to Impress Your Future Employer
- How to Date Two Men… Without Being a Total Beyotch
- How They Met: Harlem Lovebirds, Quiana and Uka
- Hairstyle Dos and Don’ts for Round Faces: Ashanti