In case you missed it, a lot of drama has surrounded production of the ABC reality show Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico. Production was shut down early in the month after DeMario Jackson, a cast member from the most recent season of The Bachelorette, was accused of sexually assaulting co-star Corinne Olympios. They were both said to be heavily intoxicated at the time of the alleged assault, and their encounter prompted a third party, who witnessed it, to file a complaint of misconduct against him.
After the announcement, an investigation was done on the matter, as there was obviously footage of this encounter to look over (cameras were rolling at all hours). According to TMZ, a situation took place where there was “rubbing, touching and fingering” as well as oral sex by Jackson. And while he was aware of everything that happened on that evening, intoxicated or not, Olympios issued a statement saying she had zero recollection of the situation and more than anything, blamed production staff for not protecting her.
“I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened the night of June 4,” she said. Olympios said in a statement, released to Variety. “Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production. As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality.”
But the investigation was closed and Jackson was cleared of allegations of misconduct. Production was continued after it was concluded that Olympios was “lucid” and taking part in what was happening. With that, Warner Bros. put out a statement saying footage of the incident showed it does “not support any charge of misconduct by a cast member. Nor does the tape show, contrary to many press reports, that the safety of any cast member was ever in jeopardy.”
Jackson is now speaking out, and is doing so in an exclusive three-part interview with E! News, telling them how much the allegations hurt him (he reportedly lost his job) and his family.
“It was stressful. For me, mostly for my mother,” Jackson said in the sneak peek of the chat. “It’s hard to see your mom cry every single day. It was very difficult.”
“My dad, he kept me extremely strong and kept me grounded and humble,” he added, “but having your mom cry every day for something that you know you didn’t do.”
And while he may have been cleared by Warner Bros., Olympios can still pursue legal action, but instead of it being against producers (she will reportedly be unable to go after them per her contract), it would be against Jackson and could be filed in Mexico.
Before the investigation concluded, Jackson issued a statement in the hopes of clearing his name.
“It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations,” he said in a statement to E! News early this month. “I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.”