Growing up black in suburbia, it can be just as difficult relating to the black community as it is your white neighbors. I’ve met enough women to know that the struggle of being “too white to be black and too black to be white” is real. Anew documentary directed by Melissa Lowery will explore the conflicts and issues young women of color experience growing up in predominantly white neighborhoods.
Check out the trailer for “Black Girls in Suburbia” below. Can you relate to the issues these women experienced growing up? It’s wonderful that this new aspect of the black female experience is being explored. Perhaps it will be the antidote to Good Hair.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- J Hud & Hubby Split: The Cost of Her Weight Loss?
- Dear White Folks: Just Say No to Blackface This Halloween
- 6 Occasions When It’s Okay To Be Mean To Your Man
- Celebs That Could & Should Quit Their Days Jobs… To Model
- Ethnic Specific: Which White Products are Good for Black Hair?
- 7 Things That Should Never Happen On A First Date
- Guess Who?: Who Did These Babies Become?