Avocados are amazing things—they’re delicious on their own, but you can combine them with an egg to start your day with a supercharged breakfast that will keep your energized until lunch. For a one-two punch of omega-3s in your breakfast, try baking eggs baked in avocado. Beyond the heart-healthy fatty acids and high protein count, potassium, vitamins C and K, this low-sugar and fiber-filled breakfast will kick off your day on a healthy high note. If you’re always rushing in the morning, you’ll be glad to learn this recipe requires just a few ingredients and nearly no prep time. Ready to get cooking? Courtesy of Serious Eats.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped cilantro, optional
Sliced scallions, optional
Sliced chilies, optional
Warm flour or corn tortillas
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 450°F.
2. Cut each avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scrape out the center of each halved avocado so that it is large enough to accommodate an egg (about 1 1/2 tablespoons).
3. Squeeze lime juice over the avocados and season with salt, then place on baking sheet.
4. Break an egg into the center of each avocado. Don’t worry if some of the white spills out as long as the yolk is intact.
5. Bake in the oven until whites are set and yolk is runny, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with cilantro, scallions, and chilies and serve with tortillas.