New Study: The Kids Get It From Their Mama! Sorry Dads
Sorry Dad, you didn’t put in as much work as you thought. Maybe, the kids got your sense of humor though?
Studies have shown that the source of our intelligence can be traced back through our DNA to our X chromosomes. From our looks, health, personal interest, and personality traits everything that we are is due to our genetic donations from mom, and dad. Our X chromosomes however stem solely from mom, and she has two of them!
There’s no talking your way around this one daddies! It’s all mom up top.
Though it is very possible to inherit intelligence genes from your father, science believe it won’t have an impact on your brain because they are only activated when received from mom. This freaky fact obviously works both ways, and other genes can only be activated coming from dad. In 1994 The Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit in the U.S. conducted a study on mothers, as well as interview 12,686 teens and adults age ranging from 14 to 22. The survey’s questions focused on the subjects IQ, education, socioeconomic status, and race. Research found that the best indicator of intelligence was the IQ of the subjects mother.
Are you shocked? No worries, one’s relationship, and degree of closeness with their parents also plays a role in this biological equation. If you’re worried about your personal IQ, or that of your children here are a few tips to sharpen your mental function.
- Exercise physically as well as mentally can help improve mental clarity and focus. In addition Increased blood flow ensures your brains get the oxygen, and nutrients it needs.
- Reading is a great way to mentally stimulate the mind, improve the memory and reduce stress.
- Brain teasers like sudoku, crossword puzzles, and chess help maintain the plasticity of one’s brain, allowing for a sharp mind.
- Eat well with foods high in antioxidants such as blueberries, carrots, spinach and red grapes.
- Take up a new language.
- Get proper rest. When you’ve had adequate rest, everything else just seems to fall in place. Mental clarity, and focus are directly affected by the amount of restful sleep we get each night.
Make it a priority to take care of your brain. Although we’ve got two doses of DNA we’ve only got one brain. Comment below and share some ways you like to mentally stay sharp?