Stop Shooting Us: Why Was Korryn Gaines Killed By Police And Her 5-Year-Old Son Shot?

August 2, 2016  |  

(function(d, s, id) {
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
var js = d.createElement(s); = id;
js.src = ‘//’;
}(document, ‘script’, ‘wibbitz-static-embed’));



Yesterday (August 1), following a hours-long standoff, Baltimore police shot and killed 23-year-old black woman, Korryn Gaines, wounded her 5-year old son, and apprehended an unidentified man.

According to reports by CNN and the Baltimore Sun, at approximately 9:20 a.m., three police officers went to an apartment in the Carriage Hill complex in Randallstown, a village in Baltimore County, Maryland, to serve arrest warrants. The man, Kareem Kiean, was being apprehended for assault. Gaines was charged for failure failure to appear in court bench warrant, stemming from several traffic offenses, including disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. She was originally charged during a traffic stop in March.

According to Baltimore county police spokesman Cpl. John Wachter, upon arriving to the scene, Gaines was armed with a shotgun and had a child in the apartment. “So at that point, our detectives backed off, not only to call additional resources, but to ensure the safety of the community and bring a safe resolution to this incident.”

Shortly after arriving on the scene, Kiean ran out of the apartment with a 1-year-old child, one of two children in the apartment on Sulky Court. He was arrested and released on his own recognizance.

Due to Gaines being armed, the apprehension became a barricade situation from around 9:40 am.

Somewhere around 3:00 p.m., a police reported that Gaines pointed her weapon directly at one of the tactical police officers. An officer stated that Gaines then shouted “If you don’t leave, I’m going to kill you.” One officer feared for his life and fired two shots. As a means of self defense, Gaines fired back and killed by multiple gun wounds moments later.

Witnesses stated that there were numerous officers, some undercover, and SWAT that arrived on the scene. Gaines’ son was caught in the line of fire and is said to be in the hospital and in stable condition. This is Baltimore County’s third police-involved shooting and the first fatality in 2016.

The police were placed on administrative leave–a standard procedure following a shooting–and their names will be revealed Thursday, August 4.

Needless to say, it feels as if this story has been reported time and time again. Insert different names, mix in some subtly different details, and voila…

Before the unfortunate climax of the barricade, two videos have been uploaded—allegedly by Gaines. One is a short video showing a tactical officer dressed in full gear and wielding a rifle, which can be seen in a distance, attempting to peer inside.

The second of the videos, is Gaines conversing with her son. She is asking him what is happening, who is outside, what are they trying to do, all while Gaines is responding to officers. She then asks her little boy what he wants to do.

The story is continuing to develop.

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN