This is a great recipe that utilizes ingredients you probably have right on hand and is incredibly fast to make. The flavors are really developed right away, but they also remain fresh a second day which is perfect since this actually makes enough for two servings. In just a few steps you transform canned goods instantly into a fresh-tasting, tangy salad that’s ready to eat in minutes. Do not fear any “canniness!” The garlic, olive oil, and lemon are very effective there along with the fresh heirloom cherry tomatoes. And the dressing is perfect with the red wine vinegar and mustard. I added some fresh chopped herbs (parsley, thyme and chives), with some fresh lemon zest for some added enhancement, but this recipe from Food 52 works really well on its own, too.
Healthy Lunch: Tuna and White Bean Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes
2 5-oz cans of tuna (preferably in olive oil)
1 15-oz can cannellini beans
1 garlic clove; minced
1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes (or any cherry tomato)
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
Salt and pepper
1. Drain and rinse the 15-oz can of cannellini beans.
2. Heat the minced garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the cannellini beans and toss with the olive oil.
3. Once the beans are warmed through, place them in a large bowl. Add the 2 cans of drained tuna to this bowl.
4. Halve the heirloom cherry tomatoes and toss them into the large bowl.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 5 tablespoons of olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and lemon juice (optional).
6. Pour the vinaigrette over the tuna, beans and tomatoes. Add salt to taste and season generously with freshly ground pepper. Gently toss all ingredients together.
7. Serve at room temperature or chilled with a good piece of bread.