Becoming A Mrs.? Read This Before Traveling For Your Honeymoon

April 12, 2016  |  



For many women, marriage means no more bad first dates or kissing frogs who want to #Wastehertime2016. It’s a time for you to commit on a deeper level to your fiancé and even steal his last name. And while you plan to spend the rest of your life with your partner, it’s important to think about how you will (legally) change your name, especially after saying “I do,” but before you travel for your honeymoon. Here are four tips on how to travel when you’re changing your name.

Don’t Use Your Marriage Certificate

Your marriage certificate cannot be used as a form of identification, especially in security checkpoints like TSA. Use your passport or driver’s license when you’re traveling.

A Gift From The State Department

If you filed for a new passport before getting hitched, you have a year (from your wedding date) to file for another passport in your new name. Even better, this second passport will be free of charge from the State Department.

Booking Honeymoon Ticket 

If you booked your honeymoon ticket with your maiden name but your identification documents have your new name, some airlines may charge you a full fare for a ticket that has your new last name on it.

New Passport Timeline

The State Department takes (on average) five weeks to issue new passports. Therefore, it’s best to create a timetable of when you should travel after your wedding.

Aside from traveling, it’s important to update your name in order to vote in the upcoming election. Danielle Tate, the CEO and founder of, helps newlyweds ease into the process of changing their name. In her blog about changing your maiden name to your married name and how it affects how you can vote, Tate shared that you can file a voter’s registration form to update your name. It is important to file the form two to three weeks before your vote.

For more information on updating your name, visit

h/t Travel + Leisure

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN