Cooking for a family–let alone having enough food for everyone–can sometimes be challenging. In some cases, you have to make frequent trips to the grocery store which does more damage than good to your wallet. Should you be interested in mixing things up in the kitchen, you might want to consider making different meals from the same ingredients. Just three pieces of chicken breast from a family pack can yield a savory dish for everyone to try.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- homemade garam marsala mix (see below)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 skinless chicken breast, chopped into one inch cubes
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 13.5-14 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 potatoes, skinned and chopped into one inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
(homemade garam marsala mix)
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- Mix all garam marsala ingredients in a bowl thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. On medium high, add onion and sauté for three to four minutes or until golden brown. Mix in half of garlic powder.
- Add chicken breast cubes to pan, season with cumin, salt and pepper and lightly brown on both sides. Mix in homemade garam marsala mix and the remaining garlic powder.
- Stir in coconut milk and water. Add tomatoes, cilantro and potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring heat to low and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Add additional water if necessary. Stir chicken and potato curry mixture every 15 minutes.
Serve over rice.
adapted from chicken curry with coconut milk recipe
all photos courtesy of tanvier peart