Mom Morning Hacks: 10 Ways To Make Your Mornings Easier
By Riche Holmes Grant
Since toddler boss dictates my schedule these days, I get up super early and get more done by 8:00 a.m. than I ever imagined possible. It’s not that I’ve suddenly become a morning person, but I’ve just found simple ways to make getting up and getting out much easier for me and you-know-who.
So, whether you’re trying to wrangle a grumpy toddler out of bed or trying not to burn breakfast (again), here are 10 morning hacks to help you make your mornings easier and get a jumpstart on your day:
In the evening:
2. Check the weather. Don’t get caught by surprise in the morning. There’s nothing like a last-minute wardrobe change to throw off your time.
3. Lay out your clothes. Plan out what you and the kids are going to wear (including shoes and accessories).
4. Plan out the next day. You’re more likely to get more done on your to-do list (and not forget to include items) when you know what you have to do beforehand and can plan accordingly.
5. Go to bed earlier. It sounds good in theory, I know. But how many of us really do it? Start with 30 minutes and then gradually dial back your bed time until you’re getting at least 8 hours of rest. This is much more difficult to do for new moms, but don’t worry, there is a light at the end of the tunnel (I saw mine around three months into mommyhood:-).
In the morning:
6. Wake up earlier. Aim to wake up at least an hour before everyone else in your house so that you can have some time to yourself. This is also a great time to meditate, read or work out before the madness of the day begins. While you’re up, check the traffic too to see if you need to adjust your morning route. Have you downloaded Waze yet?!
7. Drink a glass of water. Drinking 16 ounces of water right after you wake up will make you feel instantly refreshed and ready to start your day. It’s also a good way to cleanse your system and help you stay regular. With everything else you have to juggle in your life, who needs to be constipated too?
8. Make up your bed. Taking time to make up your bed sets the tone for the rest of your day. You’ll already have one accomplishment on the books and it will only get better from here.
9. Keep your alarm clock on the other side of the room. That way, you’ll be forced to get up and turn it off rather than press the snooze button until you have no more time to spare.
10. Have a place for everything and put everything in its place. Do this and you’ll always know where your phone, keys and purse are and you won’t waste time looking for them when you’re trying to get out of the house. Been there, done that. Not cool. At all.
What are your favorite morning hacks? Share them with us in the comments section!
Hey Haute Mamas! I’m Riche Holmes Grant, a modern mom + mompreneur who designs smart + stylish products that make your mommy gig easier. When I’m not busy taking orders from my toddler boss, I’m contributing to MarthaStewart.com or in the kitchen whipping up delicious baby + toddler gourmet creations in my BambiniWare Apronini. I live in the Washington, DC area with my husband and daughter. Follow our adventures on Instagram via @BambiniWare!