Rihanna’s Former Publicist Apologizes For Spreading Jay Z Affair Rumors
For years, there have been whispers about an affair between Rihanna and Jay Z. But it seems that we can now lay those rumors to rest. According to the New York Daily News, Rihanna’s former publicist Jonathan Hay recently came clean about fanning the rumors to promote the singer’s debut single, “Pon de Replay.”
“I apologized to her … this whole thing is very awkward,” Hay told the publication via email.
Hay, who says that he previously apologized to Jay Z for the stunt, issued a public apology to Beyoncé on “Inside Edition” Friday.
“The PR stunt that I did was out of desperation to help break ‘Pon de Replay,’” he wrote. “It was reckless, and I didn’t think it was going to work. I was just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what would stick.”
Hay recently received a copy of J. Randy Taraborelli’s forthcoming Beyoncé biography, Becoming Beyoncé: The Untold Story, which touches on the rumors and is apparently what pushed Hay to come clean.
“I was blindsided by the news of ‘Becoming Beyoncé’ coming out and it couldn’t come at a worse time for me,” Hay said in a statement. “I’m currently releasing projects with my label Urban Hitchcock through Tidal, a company that is owned by Jay Z and Beyoncé … Hopefully, this news hasn’t ruined that relationship for me.”
Hay never spoke with Taraborelli directly, but he says that he did speak to the author’s researcher.
“I didn’t think it would be this big story,” Hay wrote. “But now, seeing Beyoncé on the cover of this book and knowing that people are profiting from speculations and opinions about her really turns my stomach.”
“I’m ashamed that I’m even talking about this. I just want to put this rumor to rest once and for all,” he concluded.
As previously reported, Taraborelli’s book hits stands October 27.