Ex-Cop Pleads Not Guilty In Sam DuBose Shooting

July 30, 2015  |  

Former University of Cincinnati police officer Ray Tensing, 25, pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of murder and voluntary manslaughter stemming from the shooting death of Samuel DuBose, CNN reports.

Bond was set at $1 million by Judge Megan Shanahan, which caused some people in the courtroom to applaud.

As previously reported, Tensing opened fire on 43-year-old DuBose during a July 19 traffic stop. Although Tensing claimed that DuBose was trying to drive away during the stop, and he feared that he would be run over by the vehicle, body camera footage quickly poked holes in his defense. Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters blasted the former cop after announcing the indictment at a press conference Wednesday.

“I’ve been doing this for over 30 years. This is the most asinine act I’ve ever seen a police officer make — totally unwarranted,” he said. “It’s an absolute tragedy in the year 2015 that anyone would behave in this manner. It was senseless.”

Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley has expressed satisfaction with how the case is moving along.

“We wanted the right thing to be done, the just thing to be done, the fair thing to be done,” he said. “We wanted the truth to come out.”

Tensing’s attorney, Stew Matthews, maintains that his client feared for his life. Tensing’s next court date has been scheduled for August 19.

 

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN