A fantastic recipe for summer, these mahi mahi and avocado tacos combine pan-seared mahi mahi, sweet mango and cilantro salsa, soft avocado slices, crunchy red onion and radicchio, and a drizzle of spicy-tangy mayo. It’s easy to prepare, beautiful, and tasty. The flavors are bright and complex and complement each other so well. We love the mixture of color, texture, and flavors here, especially on a warm summer evening with a fruity drink or cerveza. Amp up the spice in the mayo—maybe by substituting chilies in adobo if you like. Enjoy this recipe from the folks at Food52.com!
- 36-oz. mahi mahi fillets
- 1/2small red onion
- 2 mangoes
- 2 limes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 small head radicchio
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek, or other spicy hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Pat the mahi mahi dry and let it come close to room temperature while you prep the taco fixings.
- Cut the 1/2 red onion into very thin round slices and let sit in a bowl of cold water to reduce the sharpness. Cut the mangoes into a small dice and spritz with some lime juice, then chop the cilantro leaves and combine with the mango. Slice the avocado into thin slices and spritz with more lime juice to keep the color fresh. Cut the radicchio into thin slices as for slaw.
- Make the sauce by combining mayo, sambal oelek to taste, and some lime juice and/or water to thin it out slightly. Taste and adjust ingredients for flavor and consistency.
- Season the mahi mahi with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil; when hot, sear the mahi mahi, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until cooked through to the center. Flake the fish into large pieces, making sure no bones remain.
- Heat the corn tortillas individually over the open flame of a gas burner, turning with heat-proof tongs to warm and gently cook both sides (alternatively, spread them out on baking sheets and cook in the oven on low heat for a few minutes until warmed through). When ready to serve, drizzle some sambal-lime mayo down the center of the tortilla, then place the avocado slices on top, followed by the radicchio, mahi mahi, mango salsa, red onion, and additional sambal-lime mayo.