As shocked as most of us were to hear the news of Lil’ Wayne and Christina Milian making moves — um, together — this is the industry for that sort of shake-up. Not only is the urban side of the music business small, but it’s especially congested once certain stars begin having kids. Wayne, born Dwayne Carter Jr., has four children. His first, his beloved Reginae, from his ex-wife Toya Wright. Then in recent years, three more, two of which were born of fellow celebs: actress Lauren London and singer Nivea. Got it? His current girlfriend, Christina Milian, has her own history but only one child — Violet, with her ex-husband musician, The Dream. The thing is: The Dream also has three children with his first wife Nivea. A little confusing, right? Welp. Who are we to speak on how love works? In a few lines, we already broke down a few things you probably didn’t know about Wayne. Still, check our list below to find a little more that you probably had no clue about.
1. You know, Wayne was young when he was in the Hot Boys rap group, but did you know he was all of nine years old when he signed to Cash Money in 1991? By the time Cash Money released the Hot Boys debut, Lil’ Wayne was 14 years old.
2. At Lafayette Elementary School, Weezy was in the gifted program. Regardless of what people may think of him these days with the face tattoos and so forth, Wayne is more sensible than some would like to consider.
3. By the time he’d gotten to Eleanor McMain Secondary School, Carter was an honor student as well as a drama club member — still, he dropped out at age 14 when the Hot Boys debut hit the streets.
4. Lil’ Wayne’s claim to fame as an eight-year-old was leaving freestyle rap messages on Bryan “Baby” Williams’ answering machine, tirelessly.
5. When he was 12 years old, Carter shot himself in the foot accidentally with a 9mm handgun and it was an off-duty police officer that drove him to the hospital.
6. Years after dropping out of high school as a teen, Wayne earned his GED and enrolled at the University of Houston in 2005, majoring in Political Science. It wasn’t long until he had to hang that up though due to conflicting schedules.