Outdoor Menu: 11 Delicious Picnic Recipes For The Family
Children are pretty savvy when it comes to how we try to sneak in veggies. One way to switch things up is by reconstructing a sandwich.
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 24 1/4-inch-thick slices baguette
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- For bean spread, in blender or food processor combine beans, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cover; blend or process until smooth. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- To grill squash, toss squash slices with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Place in a grill basket. Place basket directly over medium coals for about 5 minutes or just until squash is tender, turning once.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with bean spread. Top half of the bread with tomato, squash, and cucumber slices. Top with remaining bread slices, spread side down. Secure sandwiches with wooden picks. Top with celery sprigs, tomato wedges, and/or pickle slices. Makes 12 appetizers-size sandwiches.