The holiday season is a great time to share meals with family and friends, but for some can become an excuse to overindulge on favorite dishes. Don’t worry, you can still enjoy the holiday season without sacrificing those delicious meals that come along with family gatherings. By making just a few simple tweaks to traditional recipes, you can enjoy new and better-for-you favorites.
Easily check off each ingredient for my recipes and your family’s favorites at a large grocer, such as Walmart, which has delicious fresh produce for low prices.
- Swap out rich, high-calorie ingredients. For example, try plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonnaise for a creamy texture.
- Serve dips with fruit instead of crackers or bread.
- Use seasonings and spices, not fat, to add flavor.
- Update traditional favorites to help keep you full.
- Focus on fresh. Many makeover recipes feature fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables, such as sweet potatoes and squash. Choose a grocer with a fresh produce guarantee, like Walmart, to ensure you’re getting the freshest fruits and vegetables.
Sarah-Jane Bedwell, R.N., L.D.N., is Nashville’s nutrition expert, SELF Magazine’s food and nutrition blogger and author of the upcoming book, Schedule Me Skinny.