The Modern Chef: Get to Baking These 12 Delicious Holiday Cookies
Need some last-minute treat ideas? We’ve got you covered with these ah-mazing cookie recipes. Swap ’em, savor ’em, or give ’em as gifts. However you use them, these sweet treats will not disappoint.
Candy-Stripe Cookie Sticks
8 large eggs whites
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of coarse salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Red gel-paste food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the egg whites and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment; beat on medium until foamy. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour and salt and mix until just combined. Add the butter, cream, and vanilla and beat and until combined.
2. Transfer 1 cup of batter to a small bowl. Set the remaining batter aside. Stir in the red coloring until the desired color is reached. Transfer the tinted batter to a pastry bag fitted with a small plain round tip. Secure the end of the pastry bag with a rubber band and set aside.
3. Place a 3×16-inch rectangle on a baking sheet line with a Silpat baking mat. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of plain batter into the rectangle and spread with a small offset spatula. Repeat. Pipe diagonal tinted stripes onto each rectangle. Bake the cookies until pale golden; 6-8 minutes.
4. Immediately loosen the edges with a spatula and flip the cookie over. Starting from one long side, roll the cookie into a stick. Place seam side down on a clean work surface; let cool until set. Quickly repeat with the second cookie.
5. Repeat the process, tinting and baking 2 or 3 cookies at a time.